Will i get a fined for my dog not having its shots?

My father's dog is sick (swollen) and looks pretty sad but he wont take him to the vet to get checked because he thinks he'll receive a ticket because the dogs about 6-7yrs but has never received his shots? but thats only if he would to be out in the…

My father's dog is sick (swollen) and looks pretty sad but he wont take him to the vet to get checked because he thinks he'll receive a ticket because the dogs about 6-7yrs but has never received his shots? but thats only if he would to be out in the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will i get a fined for my dog not having its shots?...

• Will i get a fined for my dog not having its shots?

Will i get a fined for my dog not having its shots? General Dog Discussions
      My father's dog is sick (swollen) and looks pretty sad but he wont take him to the vet to get checked because he thinks he'll receive a ticket because the dogs about 6-7yrs but has never received his shots? but thats only if he would to be out in the streets right?Santa Cruz County area.

Will i get a fined for my dog not having its shots? General Dog Discussions
    • My advise: Give your father a kick in the shin.I highly highly doubt he will get a fine, but if someone with high power over animals in need find out your dad is doing this to his dog they he will most likely lose it.

• Take your dog to the vet- I'm not sure about the local ordinances, but it's unlikely you'll get fined. Either way, it's not the dog's fault it didn't receive shots, and it is sick and needs treatment.

• The law says a dog has to have a rabies shot, but a vet can't or won't report your father. The vet won't even know if the dog has ever had shots or not - all your dad needs to do is call a vet and make an appointment stating the dog needs treatment and is overdue for his or her shots.It's important a dog has rabies shots - if the dog would happen to bite someone, and there is no proof of rabies shots, it could lead to the dog being quarantined, put down, and/or a fine, yes.

• You're absolutely right. Veterinarians aren't interested in prosecuting people for skipping rabies vaccines, or for not getting a city license or little stuff like that. Though rabies vaccines are legally required (none of the other vaccines are required by law), your dog would only get a citation if animal control had to be involved - basically if your dog was caught running loose or if he bit someone and they had to make an official dog bite report.Vets are even required to report someone who missed a vaccine. They are usually required to report a case where they suspect the dog has been involved in a dog fighting ring, but that's about the only thing they have to report. They would much rather be able to treat a sick dog than bother with getting you into trouble for skipping vaccines.What a vet CAN do is to refuse to treat your dog unless you get its rabies vaccine taken care of as well. Some vets will insist on this; others will treat the dog and hope you come back for its shots. They are not being mean or trying to rip you off by doing this: rabies is a very significant public health concern and it is not safe for veterinary employees to handle an unvaccinated animal.If your dog is sick and your dad won't take him to the vet, then someone could report your dad to animal control. Then he would get charged with animal neglect (this is a misdemeanor and would go on his record - it's much more serious than just skipping a vaccine) and he'd probably also get a citation for not having his rabies vaccine. Since you say the dog is swollen then he's obviously ill, and your dad is much more likely to get fined by NOT taking him to the vet.

• Go to the vet and get the shots now so it wont be a problem, vets dont fine people, only animal shelters if ur dog's loose. If he has no tags saying he got shots and the pound gets him he'll be put down immediately cause' they cant risk infectiing other healthy animals. if he wont take the dog, u take him in., it's important.

• in most places hte dog only needs a rabies shotwhen ;you take the dog in have a rabies shot given these are usually only $15and a vet can't give a ticket so shouldn't worry just get teh shot while there