I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me?

She is a siberian husky/german shepherd mix. I want to know a good brand of food,dog tooth paste,shampoo,treats,dog brush and tooth brush.I also wan to know how to find a dependable vet, obedience schools, and groomer.What kind of toys should I buy?How…

I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me?

She is a siberian husky/german shepherd mix. I want to know a good brand of food,dog tooth paste,shampoo,treats,dog brush and tooth brush.I also wan to know how to find a dependable vet, obedience schools, and groomer.What kind of toys should I buy?How…...
    General Dog Discussions : I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me?

I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me? General Dog Discussions
      She is a siberian husky/german shepherd mix. I want to know a good brand of food,dog tooth paste,shampoo,treats,dog brush and tooth brush.I also wan to know how to find a dependable vet, obedience schools, and groomer.What kind of toys should I buy?How long should her leash be?She will be my first dog.Yes, I have done research on the breeds. I'll tell you some things I learned. The husky is very high maintance. They shed twice a year, and need brushing once a week, every day durig shed. They tend to chase smaller animals and are escape artests. They range in color. They have a double coat. Blue eyes is ok in the breed. They love to be around other people and dogs. They are not ment for someone with small childeren because of there engery level. They should be around 50 pounds. The ownere needs to keep there mind busy. Or they will entertain themselfs, and the owner wont like how. They don't have allot of health problems.. But poor breading can cause things like, hip and elbow displaca. Most of the health problems are the eyes. they can get cataracts, corneal dystrophy, and glaucoma. They live 12-14 years. I would type info on the German shepherd, but I don't; have enough room. Don't leave crappy messagessorry,I got carried away. I just wanted other opeaions on what to get.

I am going to adopt a puppy today. I need to buy her some things, can you help me? General Dog Discussions
    • You are nowhere near ready to get a puppy.Did you do any research at all? Are you aware that Siberian Huskies and GSD's both tend to be very dominant dogs? Do you know how much work a puppy is? Do you have any idea how much it costs for a puppy's first-year vet-expenses?How, exactly, did you choose this puppy? Was it a case of ... "ohhh, how cute! I want that!"? If so, please leave it for someone more knowledgeable and responsible. Go to Toys 'R Us and get yourself a stuffed dog ... and in the meantime, please do some research.

• dog food=canidaetooth past=Denta Clean Herbal Tooth Paste shampoo=Groomax Spa Dog Shampoostreats= many good ones.. most dogs like dried chicken treats. but see what the dog likesdog brush= Bamboo Pin/Bristle Brush and Flea Combthese work great while bathing the dog=http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751491&cp=&sr=1&origkw=dog+brush&kw=dog+brush&parentPage=search&keepsr=1tooth brush=should come with the tooth paste.the dog probably will not need to go to a groomers, unless u want to shave the dog. but you should ask people in your neighborhood to find a good vet. see what they think. the shelter might also know. heres another great site to find a good vet! http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/choosing_vet/choosing_vet_brochure.pdfobedience schools. i know petsmart has a great one. you can also just look in the yellow pages or online. toys... chewy ones, soft pulsh ones, squeeky ones, rope ones.. it just depends on what the dog likes. leash should be no longer than 6ft... BEST OF LUCK! and THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING! dont forget you can always go onto a petstores website, and normally the items are rated..

• We had a Husky. I have also had a German Shepard. Buy toys that can hold up to a strong bite. When ours got bigger she would eat turtles, just crunch them up like they were nothing.Hair brush Vidal Sassoon something like these;http://hair-care.0-8.ru/p/50/images/vidal-sassoon-vs7103-wood-100-boar-bristle-oval-grooming-brush.jpghttp://hair-care.0-8.ru/p/96/images/vidal-sassoon-vs7962-ionic-nylon-cushion-brush.jpgThey cheap at a Dollar General.We used a High Protein Dry dog food, and buy a feeder. She just munch when she want and not over eat.http://www.petsakes.com/catalog/images/50%20LB%20Feeder.jpgNever used toothpaste, but, bought Milk Bones.http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawholagn/302492517/You not need a school. TWO words you teach your dog at first; "Yes" and "No". With these two words they can learn anything. Just spend time with your dog so you can teach. You not have to use yes/no, but any two words that mean this. Tak/Nie Good/Bad whatever. but the two words will be most important to the dog being able to learn anything you want to teach.This how we do our animals and there many other ways that work.Never used a leash, but, you may need one where you live. Our dogs are on a verbal leash, remember "Yes/No". My dogs listen because we taught at a young age. But, this dog may be strong and you may want a shorter leash until you know how to handle the dog. But, if you teach early 10 feet or one of those that let out more/less as the dog will listen to your commands.

• Sturdy collar and about 6' leash with loop handle.Best toy we had was those blue Batmitten balls (get at sports store). It squished in her mouth but she couldn't tear it up. We used Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo (no soap in it - - never use any other people shampoo, will dry & irritate skin). Whatever shampoo you get, rinse well. I avoided rawhide treats - - I had a neighbor that had to put her 3 yr old Sheltie to 'sleep', rawhide pieces got stuck in her intestines & tore holes. We had good luck with Purina dog food - - get type for her needs: Puppy food for pup, Hi-Pro (active dogs), mature or adult, etc.. Get dog food in smaller bags until you find one you wish to settle then can get in big bags. We stored the food in large plastic bucket to keep bugs out of it. A duel brush with the metal teeth on one side & bristles on other side for dogs with thick coat. Vet, talk to pet owners and take your own survey on who they use. Try to pick one close to you; but, if want a specific vet, the distance may not be a problem. Definitely, call the clinic & find out what their practice is when their is an emergency and will someone be able to help. Of course, food & water bowls - large & heavy enough not to tip easy. Water dish, add ice cubes occasionally for freshness, cooler & fun for pet.

• Food: Best food I know of is Drs. Foster & Smith brand. If you have a Target near you, you can probably find it there; otherwise it's only available online. Nutro is also good. Look for any food that does not have corn as its first ingredient; that's key.Dog toothpaste: can't help you there. I have a young puppy who has just begun teething, so I am not yet concerned about toothpaste.Shampoo: little known secret - Johnsons' Baby Shampoo. :)Treats: try Pounce cat treats. Dogs love them.Dog brush: for that double coat, you'll want a sturdy pin brush and a long-toothed comb.Toothbrush: Not all dogs like these. Consider one of those spiky chew toys that you can put the good-tasting dog toothpaste all over, and let your dog chew the stuff off.Vet: Call your friends who have dogs and ask who they like.Obedience schools: My puppy goes to classes at PetSmart, and they're great, very affordable. Your local SPCA might also have leads on obedience classes.Groomer: PetSmartToys: Rope tug toys, sturdy squeaky toys, compressed rawhide or sterilized bones, tennis balls, and of course a Kong. My dog also LOVES this oversized hard rubber ball toy called Wiggly Giggly.Leash: Six-foot leash for walking; 20-foot leash for training her to come to you on command.Good luck with your new puppy, and remember to give her lots of love, and train her with fairness, patience, and firmness.