Is it ok to use reqular tooth paste for a dog?

I really needed to brush my dogs teeth because his breath was really bad so I used a old tooth brush and regular aquafresh toothpaste. Is that OK or will He get sick? I also made him drink water after brushing his teeth so he didn't swallow it.

I really needed to brush my dogs teeth because his breath was really bad so I used a old tooth brush and regular aquafresh toothpaste. Is that OK or will He get sick? I also made him drink water after brushing his teeth so he didn't swallow it....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it ok to use reqular tooth paste for a dog?...

• Is it ok to use reqular tooth paste for a dog?

Is it ok to use reqular tooth paste for a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I really needed to brush my dogs teeth because his breath was really bad so I used a old tooth brush and regular aquafresh toothpaste. Is that OK or will He get sick? I also made him drink water after brushing his teeth so he didn't swallow it.

Is it ok to use reqular tooth paste for a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • No, there are things in human toothpaste that are harmful when swallowed. Doggies don't know how to rinse!He needs a vet! There are poisons in toothpaste! Bring the package with you when you go so the vet can come up with the best cure!

• never never use people tooth paste on your dog. Yes it can make them very sick. Go to the vet or a pet store and get the dog tooth paste they come in different flavors for them too peanut butter, chicken and beef.

• I wouldn't recommend it.Some pet stores have dog mints, they usually work for my friends dog. Try calling a pet store, they'd most likely know.Good luck!

• No, do NOT use regular human toothpaste. It is toxic to humans (which is why we must rinse and spit it out) A little bit swallowed is fine, but stuff that is toxic for people is usually twice as toxic to dogs.The best thing to do is just use water, or mix two tablespoons of water with one drop of mint extract, dip the toothbrush in and start brushing. One drop goes a long way!

• NO. Definitely not safe to use human tooth paste on your dog. You have to get him toothpaste made especially for pets. You could pick one up at Wal-mart for only $3, so its not expensive, and they got beef flavoured toothpaste thats safe to swallow.

• Absolutley NOT. Human toothpaste is designed for "spitting"out, and the mint or other flavors can do harm to the digestive tract. You need to purchase a pet toothpaste. Preferably one with enzymatic cleaner. This means that you don't have to actually brush, but just get it in their mouth. When you brush a dogs teeth, you only need to do the outsides. You can use a childs toothbrush, or purchase a dog finger tooth brush from the pet store. There are also things that you can get from your vet that help with the teeth, such as CET rawhide chews (which have toothpaste in them), and CET Aquadent to put in the water. You may also want to consider getting your pet's teeth cleaned at the vet. It is an anesthetic procedure, but it will help you start from scratch. To get the best results from teeth brushing, it should be done everyday. Some people can't do that, so 1-3 times a week is ok. Brushing now, will not get rid of the tartar on your pet's teeth, only a dental cleaning at the vet can do that, but it will help stop further formation on tartar if your brush regularly.Good luck to you!

• NO.it is not safe for dogs. if you look on the back of the tube it says if swallowed to contact poison control..so if it's dangerous for people to swallow...it means it is for dogs too.you should definitely take your dog to the vet to make sure he's ok and if you want to brush his teeth so bad go to your local pet store and get a tube of pet toothpaste.

• The floride in toothpaste is toxic to dogs or humans if they swallow it which is why babies cant use it. Try baking soda instead. (make it into a paste with a small amount of water) or buy dog toothpaste. If he doesn't like the toothbrush (most don't) you can cut squares of gauze pad to put the paste on. Meaty raw bones are natures toothbrush.

• Um if you made him drink water than you made him swallow it- it was dilluted but you still made him swallow. It could be bad in the long run- so don't do it again- your vet can explain why it is so bad- it is better not to brush his teeth at all then use human toothpaste.

• he probably swallowed some of it, which isn't good for humans (in large quantities, but most people don't need to worry about that) OR animals. they sell special toothpaste and treats to make dog's breath smell better for a reason.keep an eye on him to make sure he acts normal, and if anything out of the ordinary happens take him to the vet.

• NONONO bad idea! use doggie tooth paste! the dog may have swallowed some he doesnt know any better and some chemicals that are in aquafresh are dangerous to a dog she should be fine but if u see her starting to look kinda sick take her to the vet

• Just go to the store and buy him a raw meaty beef soup bone. It will scrape his teeth clean. All these people who brush their dogs teeth are nuts. Common sense 'should' tell people that dogs were meant to chew bones. They did it for a million years before crapinabag kibble came along and ruined the dental health of the dog. Bones clean the teeth. It's what nature intended.. NOT for a bunch of vets to hit the lottery with dental care and companies pushing products like dog paste and friggin dog tooth brushes. It's ridiculous. Stop trying to humanize dogs. Give your dog a raw meaty fresh bone and call it a day.