Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?

My 24 lb 9 month old puggle is eatting her canned food really well. She just picks through dry food and does not seem to like it so we started canned. She eats well and vomits no more, but i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional…

Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?

My 24 lb 9 month old puggle is eatting her canned food really well. She just picks through dry food and does not seem to like it so we started canned. She eats well and vomits no more, but i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• we feed our dog dry food. tends to be better for them because dry food cleans their teeth and is less fattening.

• I feed dry, for two reasons. Canned food (and no, it wasn't a cheap brand) didn't agree with her all that well. Second reason is that we aren't always home, it's easier to dump food from a plastic bag and tuck that bag back in my pocket than to drag a can around and then try to find somewhere to recycle the can. Plus, she likes the dry better.

• I mix the food for my dog 4 feedings a week. She eats 1/2 cup of food twice a day so I mix it 1/4 dry and 1/4 wet.It is true that canned food is about 78% moisture. I use it to help maintain her weight and so she won't get bored with her dry food.

• Dry food does NOT clean a dog's teeth and canned food is not bad for them. Canned food is much more nutritious than dry food because it is processed less and needs no preservatives since the canning process preserves the food. The more food is processed and cooked, the more nutrients are destroyed. Dry food by the very nature of the way it is made is highly processed and cooked at high temperatures. Dry food crumbles as soon as the dog bites is and hardly comes in contact with the surface of the tooth. If you can afford it, by all means, feed him canned food. It is much more nutritious in general than dry food. Of course the brand makes all the difference in the world and the brands that use by-products and corn in their dry food usually use it in their canned food also. Water or broth is the first ingredient of most of the low quality canned foods. If you are concerned about your dog's teeth, make sure he has plenty to chew on and go easy on the treats, most of which are full of junk. That is how they keep their teeth clean. Treats that help keep the teeth clean are raw carrots, apples, broccoli flowerettes and whole raw string beans. If you must give them treats, read the ingredient list and find one that has no corn, wheat, soy, sugar, propylene glycol, corn syrup etc. Bones are best for cleaning teeth.