Will my dog be a threat now since he's had a bad experience?

An uninvited guest barged through our gate last week. When she threatened my 6 month old Australian Shepherd (for barking at her), he lunged towards her 2 year old son who was with her. I am disturbed by the fact that the dog showed aggression toward…

An uninvited guest barged through our gate last week. When she threatened my 6 month old Australian Shepherd (for barking at her), he lunged towards her 2 year old son who was with her. I am disturbed by the fact that the dog showed aggression toward…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Will my dog be a threat now since he's had a bad experience?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will my dog be a threat now since he's had a bad experience?

Will my dog be a threat now since he's had a bad experience? Dogs Training Discussions
      An uninvited guest barged through our gate last week. When she threatened my 6 month old Australian Shepherd (for barking at her), he lunged towards her 2 year old son who was with her. I am disturbed by the fact that the dog showed aggression toward the child. I have two young kids of my own; the dog gets along fine with my kids now. However, I wonder if his bad experience with the other woman and her child could damage our dog's trust.

Will my dog be a threat now since he's had a bad experience? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I have had lots of cow dogs, and most of them are very family oriented and protective of their home. I doubt he will hurt your children for no reasons. However, you must realize that if one of them where to hurt the dog, or provoke it and make the dog think it was going to be hurt, it would protect itself. That is not the breed, but the dog.

• he lunged at her 2 year old son because thats the closest he can relate to. The woman is too aggressive for him and he realizes she is very complicated. But when he sees the 2 year old boy, he thinks that "one of his own type" approves the woman'a behavior and he then attacks the toddler.

• i don't think this will become a habit... he probably felt threaten and decided to attack someone that is his size..if he is use to your kids i think he'll be fine, if he does it again i would be concerned

• I think this is something that needs work now,either an experienced dog trainer or behaviorist before your pup gets any older or the behavior of aggression with children is reinforced.

• The dog may generalize the experience or not. But you should do work with this dog if you're at all concerned. This site has information about training techniques like counter conditioning. Think about creating the situation but your dog has a positive experience instead of a scary one.www.fearfuldogs.com has info