What are the bumps on the side and bottom of a dogs jaw for?

My dog has two raised areas on the sides of her jaw and one under her jaw. I've seen these on all dogs. Small raised areas with hairy patches. They are obviously some kind of organ. What are they for?

My dog has two raised areas on the sides of her jaw and one under her jaw. I've seen these on all dogs. Small raised areas with hairy patches. They are obviously some kind of organ. What are they for?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the bumps on the side and bottom of a dogs jaw for?...

• What are the bumps on the side and bottom of a dogs jaw for?

What are the bumps on the side and bottom of a dogs jaw for? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has two raised areas on the sides of her jaw and one under her jaw. I've seen these on all dogs. Small raised areas with hairy patches. They are obviously some kind of organ. What are they for?

What are the bumps on the side and bottom of a dogs jaw for? General Dog Discussions
    • As you have noticed, these have stiff whiskery hairs growing out of them. The hairs are very sensitive and are used in much the same way as the long whiskers. They are very useful to the dog when hunting small prey in bad light or in thick undergrowth.