How do I socialize my dog?

My dog is a 2 year old, adopted, female German Shepherd. I want her to socialize with other dogs without aggression. She has been in about 4-5 bloody dog fights with my previous dog and 1 fight with my friends dog. I think she has gotten into fights…

My dog is a 2 year old, adopted, female German Shepherd. I want her to socialize with other dogs without aggression. She has been in about 4-5 bloody dog fights with my previous dog and 1 fight with my friends dog. I think she has gotten into fights…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I socialize my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I socialize my dog?

How do I socialize my dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog is a 2 year old, adopted, female German Shepherd. I want her to socialize with other dogs without aggression. She has been in about 4-5 bloody dog fights with my previous dog and 1 fight with my friends dog. I think she has gotten into fights because she is a very dominant female.We have taken her to the dog park about 3 times and kept her on the leash because we didn't trust her. She was pretty friendly with the other dogs and just wanted to play.i just want to be able to let her play with other dogs and trust her with dogs,

How do I socialize my dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • i had a dog just like that 1, i suggest going to petsmart and letting her play with some of the employees, they may help u a little bit. I took my dog walking everyday or so. Soon she became really friendly yet energetic at the same time

• just keep doing what you're doing I think..it will take a routine and her getting used to it to prevent agressionalso, try feeding them in different rooms and sleeping in different areasfood agression and territorialism can lead to more fightinghope that helped :)

• There is a service provided that trains a dog tobe more disciplined. Its called obedience training. Talk to a representative of one of these schoolsand explain the problem as you have in your question. That person will let you know if the problem can be solved and what the cost would be.

• Don't do this on your own. Take her to training classes- trust me, you are not the only one. Most dogs that are in training classes are dog aggressive. My roommates dog is dog-aggressive while on the leash, as well as off (but soon turns to play) so she has developed a code word "say hello" at the first sight of another dog. She says it in a very calm, happy voice. 99% of the time it works, but it has taken 3 years to get this way. Calming her is the first thing you need to do, and establish pack-leadership so she doesn't feel she needs to be dominant.Good luck! Awesome job at adopting too :)

• Im going to beg you here not to use the dog park and the friendly dogs there to try to socialize this dog...its not fair to the other owners with friendly dogs for theirs to be attacked by one who is not socialized.I have witnessed this at the dog park before where someone tries to use other people dogs to socialize their own who jsut isnt ready for that big of a step yet and I have seen terrible dog fights and injuries there due to it.Might I suggest a dog obedience class where your dog would be around other dogs in a positive atmosphere but still be around other dogs who are leashed as well. I have heard of some people doing this as a way to begin postive socialization. Its best done as puppies but i understand you did not have that oppurtunity. I commend you for keeping her leashed for now at the park.It sounds like you are going to have to take it very slowly with her and I wish you best of luck in your training with her......