How do you stop dog aggression on a leash?

Socialized in a 6 week puppy class at 10 weeks old. He plays with other dogs of all ages at the barn, but was fearful of them at first. Now he is part of their pack. Very friendly with people. Gets excited when he sees other dogs during our walks, but…

Socialized in a 6 week puppy class at 10 weeks old. He plays with other dogs of all ages at the barn, but was fearful of them at first. Now he is part of their pack. Very friendly with people. Gets excited when he sees other dogs during our walks, but…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you stop dog aggression on a leash?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you stop dog aggression on a leash?

How do you stop dog aggression on a leash? Dogs Training Discussions
      Socialized in a 6 week puppy class at 10 weeks old. He plays with other dogs of all ages at the barn, but was fearful of them at first. Now he is part of their pack. Very friendly with people. Gets excited when he sees other dogs during our walks, but should that dog look at him or bark, the aggression starts with the hair raising and growling/barking. He is kept on a loose leash during approach, but as he lunges of course I have to pull him back. He is kept at the heel position during walks. Have tried to keep his attention on me but no luck. I tell him to "leave it" and keep walking but he doesn't let it go. I am afraid of making it worse if I reprimand him. He is a 9 month old neutered Ger. Shep.

How do you stop dog aggression on a leash? Dogs Training Discussions
    • DONT PULL ON THE LEASH! carry a pop can with pennies in it and shake it hard. it destracts them and the noise scares them. Pulling on the leash can add to the agression. yelling at the dog makes them think "oh mommy or daddy is being loud, I can to". when they calm down reward the silence with a treat.

• Choke Chain, this did wonders for me training my Ger. Shep. It seems harsh but my trainer told me it was ok. It only works when you give it a sharp tug, constant pressure is no good.

• Yes, you will make it worse with a simple reprimand. The key is desensitization and counter conditioning (D/CC).Dogs learn by operant and classical conditioning, regardless of the techniques we use (treats, choke chains, soda cans, yelling, violence). If we get good as conditioning trainers, we have it nailed.You probably know about desensitization - bring the dog (or person) from far away towards the scary object. Stop when the animal seems agitated. Back up until not scared/agressive/reacting. Treat. Continue treating when you approach when the animal is not nervous. Stop treating when undesired behavior appears.Counter conditioning is kind of like that. When the scary/reactive stimulus is nearby, the dog gets treats. Stimulus away, treats end. Eventually the dog gets the idea that the stimulus causes the treats. Yay! I want that other leashed dog /person /stranger /baby nearby! I get treats!Soemtimes you can stun the dog's attention with a sharp "NO" or "EH!" just to break the stare and get it focused on you, but be ready and poised with the treat when the dog focuses on you. The dog could also learn that it must react and hear the "NO" to get the treat! You kinda want it not to get to that point.GSDs are sensitive and intelligent creatures. It is easy to mis-cue them. Definitely discuss the behavior with the trainer and see what homework he suggests.