will having my dog chase a laser pointer for exercise make him go crazy?

I have small fenced in backyard. My kitchen window overlooks the yard. At night before we go to bed I put my dog out and move the laser point around the backyard. He chases it like crazy all around the yard. He is a 7 month old lab so no amount of…

I have small fenced in backyard. My kitchen window overlooks the yard. At night before we go to bed I put my dog out and move the laser point around the backyard. He chases it like crazy all around the yard. He is a 7 month old lab so no amount of…...
    General Dog Discussions : will having my dog chase a laser pointer for exercise make him go crazy?...

• will having my dog chase a laser pointer for exercise make him go crazy?

will having my dog chase a laser pointer for exercise make him go crazy? General Dog Discussions
      I have small fenced in backyard. My kitchen window overlooks the yard. At night before we go to bed I put my dog out and move the laser point around the backyard. He chases it like crazy all around the yard. He is a 7 month old lab so no amount of exercise is enough for him ( he gets plenty). I know it makes him tired. When i let him back inside tonight though he paced all around the house looking for the red dot. Should I stop this?

will having my dog chase a laser pointer for exercise make him go crazy? General Dog Discussions
    • You should stop. Some breeds are predisposed to obsessive compulsive behaviour, not sure if labs are, but any dog can be effected by it. I have seen people play with laser pointers with their dogs, after the dog will look for the light for hours. Sometimes it goes from the laser pointer to any source of light - even sun moving across the floor. It is not something that you want to deal with so it's better to stop now. Obedience training and putting him through his paces with tricks and commands that he already knows will help to tire him out more than you may think. When he's a year old you could try starting him on a spring pole to tire him out. If he chases balls or a certain toy you could throw that for him around the yard too.