What is a fibroid cytoma tumor in my dog?

My 4 year old dog has a fibroid cytoma tumor, on his side just in front of his hind leg. I am debating whether I should go with surgery, or not? Will thequality of life which is great now, be affected? Will the Vet, then want to give him chemo?

My 4 year old dog has a fibroid cytoma tumor, on his side just in front of his hind leg. I am debating whether I should go with surgery, or not? Will thequality of life which is great now, be affected? Will the Vet, then want to give him chemo?...
    General Dog Discussions : What is a fibroid cytoma tumor in my dog?...

• What is a fibroid cytoma tumor in my dog?

What is a fibroid cytoma tumor in my dog? General Dog Discussions
      My 4 year old dog has a fibroid cytoma tumor, on his side just in front of his hind leg. I am debating whether I should go with surgery, or not? Will thequality of life which is great now, be affected? Will the Vet, then want to give him chemo?

What is a fibroid cytoma tumor in my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • A soft tissue sarcoma that usually occurs in the limbs, most commonly the legs, and may also occur in the abdomen. Also called malignant fibrous histiocytoma. This is all i could find for you. Is there any other details you can give us?

• Malignant fibrous histiocytomas (extraskeletal giant cell tumors, giant cell tumors of soft parts, dermatofibrosarcomas) are most frequently found in the skin and soft tissues of cats, occasionally found in horses and mules, and rarely in the skin of other domestic species, including dogs. In cats, malignant fibrous histiocytomas are most common on the distal extremities or ventral cervical regions of the aged but may also be diagnosed at vaccination sites. In horses and mules, these have been described as giant cell tumors of soft parts. Occurring in young adult to middle-aged Equidae, they are firm, nodular to diffuse swellings that are white on cut surface, with variable hemorrhage. Malignant fibrous histiocytomas are sarcomas of intermediate malignancy. They are locally invasive and tend to recur after attempts at complete excision but seldom metastasize. Radical excision is recommended. So basically you totally want to remove it and the doctor may or may not want to do chemo. The other alternative is to remove the mass with surgery and have a histiopathy done to make sure that the incision margins are clean and start on a high dose of pred for six months and make sure that benadryl is given one miligram per pound of dog every 8 hours,24 hours prior to sx and after.