Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks?

Our dog has a tumor on his lip. We are planning surgery to have removed. Been told of some of the risk just wondering if there is a chance he will get mean afterwards and if it is safe to have his teeth cleaned at the same time of surgery. Thanks for…

Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks?

Our dog has a tumor on his lip. We are planning surgery to have removed. Been told of some of the risk just wondering if there is a chance he will get mean afterwards and if it is safe to have his teeth cleaned at the same time of surgery. Thanks for…...
    General Dog Discussions : Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks?...

• Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks?

Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks? General Dog Discussions
      Our dog has a tumor on his lip. We are planning surgery to have removed. Been told of some of the risk just wondering if there is a chance he will get mean afterwards and if it is safe to have his teeth cleaned at the same time of surgery. Thanks for any information!

Wondering about a tumor growing on a dogs lip and surgery plus having teeth cleaned at the same time. Thanks? General Dog Discussions
    • If he's going under, he may as well have his teeth cleaned at the same time - that's one of the things that's good to take the opportunity to do while the dog is out.'Get mean afterwards'? Anaesthetics don't change a dog's personality! It's just going to sleep and waking up. The drugs will be out of his system by the next day, or maybe the day after if he's old, and he'll forget all about it.Chalice

• There is no reason for your dog to be mean after surgery, other than being in pain in the aftercare but that goes away. Yes, that is a good idea to clean the teeth while he is under anesthesia anyway. That way you only have to pay for the anesthesia once.

• Why would he get mean afterward???Dogs and people don't get "mean" after dentals or anesthesia. You need to get this dog healed and his teeth cleaned - there's no way it will change his personality for the worse, only his health for the better.

• My dog had a harmless tumor on the top of her head, and they decided after many years to remove it. They specifically asked me if I would like her teeth cleaned at the same time. I would have done it, but it was going to be $300. I know that they do not like to put your dog under for the sole purpose of having its teeth cleaned, and prefer to do it when the dog is already going under for something else. So yes, it is perfectly safe, and actually a really good idea.