any answers on how to solve separation anxiety when leaving your dog?

my dog cries, salivates profusely when we leave her. I have tried stuffed kongs, leavijng her with my laundry. testing her for short periods> I need help. I'm becomomg house bound

my dog cries, salivates profusely when we leave her. I have tried stuffed kongs, leavijng her with my laundry. testing her for short periods> I need help. I'm becomomg house bound...
    General Dog Discussions : any answers on how to solve separation anxiety when leaving your dog?...

• any answers on how to solve separation anxiety when leaving your dog?

any answers on how to solve separation anxiety when leaving your dog? General Dog Discussions
      my dog cries, salivates profusely when we leave her. I have tried stuffed kongs, leavijng her with my laundry. testing her for short periods> I need help. I'm becomomg house bound

any answers on how to solve separation anxiety when leaving your dog? General Dog Discussions
    • My mini schnouzer has had it for years. I give her 25 milg. of benadryl 30 min before I leave. I leave the tv on for her on animal planet as well as leaving a pig ear. Seems this does the trick. She is 14, so she has survived many years.

• Crate training can help a lot. A dog left alone woll be much more comfortable in her own "den" than loose in the house. Once she's comfortable in the crate, leave for a few minutes at a time, increasing the time you're gone a bit at a time. And when you come home, if the dog's been good, then lots of petting and maybe a treat. My beagle sleeps in her crate at night, and stays there while I'm at work. We usually leave her with a stuffed kong, a bowl of water, and sometimes a rawhide bone. Just be sure your dog is getting lots of exercise and playtime with you when you are home!

• I use to have a Boxer that did the same thing. But he was way worse. I had him go through trash mess my bed up eat my curtins and even had him jump out of a window that was 8 ft of the ground. Yes I had to replace my glass window.Trust me I tried every thing! TV,TOYS,MUSIC,. Nothing worked. So I had to place him in a crate. Just make sure be for you leave that he or she has been walked , and had time to use the bathroom. But I never left him in there longer than 2-3 hrs.

• http://www.ehow.com/how_272_treat-dogs-separation.htmlBarking, whining, escaping, destructive behavior or, in severe cases, self-mutilation can be your dog's way of expressing anxiety over your absence. Steps: 1. Consult your veterinarian to get a correct diagnosis of separation anxiety. Your veterinarian will help you with treatment or refer you to an animal behaviorist who can prescribe effective drug therapies to alleviate your dog's anxieties. 2. Practice leaving your dog alone for short periods of time. Pick up your keys and leave for 1 minute. 3. Gradually increase the amount of time you stay away. This will accustom your dog to your absence. 4. Avoid overly emotional good-byes and greetings. Instead, pat your dog on the head and offer a quick good-bye or hello. 5. Keep your dog confined in a safe area while you are away. Be sure to leave a bowl of water and plenty of chew toys. 6. Exercise your dog for an hour each day in places other than your yard or home. This helps your dog feel comfortable in other locations and lets her blow off steam. 7. Praise your dog often to build self-confidence, rather than punishing her for exhibiting frightened behaviors. Punishment only increases anxiety and makes the situation worse. Warnings: The first time you administer medication to control separation anxiety, stay with and watch your dog carefully in case she has an adverse reaction. Take her to the veterinarian if you witness odd behavior, as the dosage may need adjustment.

• Try getting ready to leave (giving her the kong, if she goes in another room put her in there, etc.) but don't actually leave the house. If she stops associating those things with you leaving it can be easier to leave her. Also what people have said above about crate training, this is very useful.

• first how old is she? 2nd how long have you had her? and 3rd do you know where she was before you had her? if you have had her from the beginning of her life and she is just now begining to show problem might mean something happened while you were gone before. will take lots of time love and understanding. try "leaving" but only stay out of her sight for few mins. once she learns that you are coming back regularly work to slowly increase the time you are gone. also try getting her a playmate if possible.