did my dog died from being old or was it poisoned?

yesterday i found my dog dead in the middle of the yard... yes, he was old, but it's too much of a coincidence that the neighbours complained about the dog being too old and skinny (it was an afghan hound, he was old but he was ok) and that he should be…

yesterday i found my dog dead in the middle of the yard... yes, he was old, but it's too much of a coincidence that the neighbours complained about the dog being too old and skinny (it was an afghan hound, he was old but he was ok) and that he should be…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : did my dog died from being old or was it poisoned?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• did my dog died from being old or was it poisoned?

did my dog died from being old or was it poisoned? Dog Breed Discussions
      yesterday i found my dog dead in the middle of the yard... yes, he was old, but it's too much of a coincidence that the neighbours complained about the dog being too old and skinny (it was an afghan hound, he was old but he was ok) and that he should be sacrificed just days before. they were told to mind their own business, that the dog was old but he was not suffering, that he was ok. i found it dead after 4 hours of leaving the house, and when i left he looked perfectly normal, just eating and being playful.also, don't do dogs find a hiding spot to die when it's from a natural cause? i thought it was kind of odd to find it right there in the middle of the yard, and laying stiff with his mouth open (no scume or spittle), flies and ants around (sorry for the awkward details).am i being paranoid or do i have reasons to suspect he was poisoned? my family and i loved this dog very much, he was a part of the family and we are so mad at the idea that he could've been killed. thanks!

did my dog died from being old or was it poisoned? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It sounds a little bit suspicious given the fact that the neighbors stated that they believed the dog should die. I would go to the vet's office and have a necropsy performed to see if the cause of death was indeed poisoning or some other form of possible abuse. Other then that, it's really impossible to say without speculating.

• Listen!!!! I would think exactly as you do if it were my dog...BUT...he was old as you say....they will drop with a heart attack or stroke.....By the way you described his body after death...it was a heart attack...I've experienced this myself with 3 dogs and it looks just as you described. Your neighbors are idiots and what goes around comes around......Your pet is at the Rainbow Bridge...out of pain and waiting.

• Get an autopsy done. Don't think about the money. Because if you don't get it done because it is too expensive, then this will be on your mind forever.Oh and if he WAS poisoned, then you better poison your neighbours! That seriously would be so cruel if they actually poisoned the dog.

• I am so sorry for the loss of your Afghan. If he had been poisoned, he would have drooled excessively, spittle, emesis, foam, etc.I believe he went peacefully with a heart attack. My old Afghan went for his morning walk and just dropped. It was a blessing that he didn't suffer.

• If you seriously suspect that it was poisoned, take its body to a vet or somewhere where they can do an autopsy to see how it died. If it was poisoned, call the police on your neighbors. That is really horrible if it is true.

• it does sound kinda fishy. I know this is an odd question to ask, but what kind of neighborhood do you live in? is it a nice area? or is it kinda shady? I'm just trying to get a feel if it could possibly be your neighbors. Your neighbors should never say things like that. If they suspect any kind of mistreatment they should have contacted the humane society. Your dog could have just died from old age, it is possible and they don't necessarily "look" for a place to die BUT they usually give you signs, like not acting like themselves and so on. Instead of an autopsy you could just have blood drawn to see if there were any toxins in your dogs blood stream. It would cost less money and you'd get results....good luck to you and sorry for your loss.

• Honestly, alot can happen in 4hrs. Heat spell could have kicked him to hard, If he were in the middle, depending on when he actually died could indicate where he was looking for shade or any kind of relief. Dogs don't really chose where they go, even when they know they are dieing. His mouth open, could indicate that he was gasping to cool himself down if it were too warm (I don't know where you are). But even in colder climates, that breed of dog tends to warm up quickley. Unless the neighbors have direct access to your dogs food or water, then there really would be no reason to suspect he was poisoned. But the possibility may be there. But who knows. It is a criminal charge, and most people know that, common poisons are easy to detect, and a vet can usually tell on a first examination if it were a poison, or if there might have been something else. Also, most poisons don't kill instantly, You would have noticed something well before that 4 hours, (e.g. Fatigue, aloofness, vomit, runny/bloody stool)

• Look around in your yard and see if you can find anything suspicious like a bag of food or something that just wasn't there before that the dog could have chewed on. The most common way to poison dogs is putting food in a paper bag and soaking it in antifreeze then chucking it over the fence. That is why I would never leave my dog unattended. It's sad they're not even safe in their own yard anymore. If you really wanted to know you could get a necropsy done. They could check the stomach contents of your dog and let you know if they find something that doesn't seem right. I would have thought they would have just complained about abuse to Animal Control or something and try to get them to take the dog away. You never know I guess. Either way, I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. Afghans are such beautiful dogs.

• sounds suspicious to me. I would look into that one. Just ask some questions. My dog got into some poison at someone else's house, and we found her in the middle of the yard as well, same symptoms and all.I'd make sure I investigated this situation closely.

• I'm so sorry for your lose! *hug* The only way to be sure is to have an autopsy done on your dog. Even if you do that it will be almost impossibly to prove that your neighbor had anything to do with your dogs death. I fo think it seams odd that your dog would be in the middle of the yard. They usually go find their own spot to lay to rest.