What breed of dog tends to make the best "lap" dogs?

I'd like to get a new dog. I am primarily looking for a dog who will want to sit and cuddle with me while watching tv or napping. Any suggestions?

I'd like to get a new dog. I am primarily looking for a dog who will want to sit and cuddle with me while watching tv or napping. Any suggestions?...
    General Dog Discussions : What breed of dog tends to make the best "lap" dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What breed of dog tends to make the best "lap" dogs?

What breed of dog tends to make the best "lap" dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I'd like to get a new dog. I am primarily looking for a dog who will want to sit and cuddle with me while watching tv or napping. Any suggestions?

What breed of dog tends to make the best "lap" dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • I LOVE my shih tzus.... they are like cat-dogs! But they need to be groomed, they do not shed. I was going to say that any small, calm breed likes to cuddle up in your lap but then I realized that the big doggies love to get up in your lap too! It's just a matter of how much weight you want in your lap ;)

• Golden RetrieverAlthough sometimes crazy. mine loves to cuddle and sit in my lap, watch movies with em and fall asleep on my bed. Also they are very loyal and lovable and don't fight with other dogs (unless abused) or people.

• That sounds like my Chi/Italian Greyhound mix. Even when I'm on the laptop, she wants to sit on my lap, so ends up sitting on my chest and laying her head on my shoulder. She's always trying to cuddle and at night she pushes her way under the covers to sleep at my feet.

• I have an 11 week old rat-cha puppie (rat terrier/chihuahua) Minnie. She's very active and playful but a cuddle bug too. She's sleeping on my shoulder right now. She plays with my older dog Maggie that is a shitzu mix very well, too. Maggie like to stay at my feet but not in my lap. Minnie wants to be held and will put her paws up for you to pick her up like a baby. I love them both :) But I do beleive female dogs are more affectionate than males.

• Chihuahua - They are great for the person who wants a lap dog and constant companion. Bichon Frise - They are very social and affectionate, with lively personalities.Labrador - They will want to sleep in the bed with you.And of course, MANY mixed breed dogs from shelters will LOVE to cuddle up to you during movie or nap time! Don't forget about them!

• I have a Chihuahua/dachshund. She is the sweetest calmest dog. You can't lay down or sit down without her sniffing you out to find where you are so she can cuddle. You can tell her to give you love and she will put her paws on your shoulder and lay her head down on your neck.....Don't know what I would do without her.

• Dachshunds. (weiner dogs) I have two of them. When i first took them home, i wrapped them in big towels and held them all the time. Took them in every room i went and always cuddled them, talked to them. And now, they follow me in every room i go in. I can't even take a bath with the door closed. They sit by me all the time. And if i'm not in the same room with them they come look for me. They are also easy to train and they are very loyal and attentive and protective. They also like children and love to play.

• St. Barnard / Black Lab cross and Rottweiler... lolI used to have them and they'd thought they were lap dogs. Of course, all you see is black hair blocking you from watching TV.I just babysat a Cockerspaniel. She is very cuddly.

• I have a question for you are you a young person,adult with children or a calmer older adult? Pomeranians can be hyper if there are children. Of course all dogs can be. I would suggest an older dog from a rescue they are calmer and generally want to be cuddled. Go and see what calls your name you should find one.No matter what the breed you will find one that you fall in love with at first sight.