What's the best response to pawing (the "shake")?

My dog paws in a submissive way to request attention (I know there is a type of pawing that is an expression of dominance but this is not what I'm asking about). He paws a lot and of course the temptation is to grab his paw and "shake," but of course he…

My dog paws in a submissive way to request attention (I know there is a type of pawing that is an expression of dominance but this is not what I'm asking about). He paws a lot and of course the temptation is to grab his paw and "shake," but of course he…...
    General Dog Discussions : What's the best response to pawing (the "shake")?...

• What's the best response to pawing (the "shake")?

What's the best response to pawing (the "shake")? General Dog Discussions
      My dog paws in a submissive way to request attention (I know there is a type of pawing that is an expression of dominance but this is not what I'm asking about). He paws a lot and of course the temptation is to grab his paw and "shake," but of course he is not really shaking hands, he is pawing right? So what should I do in response? I usually give him attention and we taught him the "shake" command as a "trick" so to speak but I wonder in terms of true canine behavior, what is the expected response?

What's the best response to pawing (the "shake")? General Dog Discussions
    • I was taught in my puppy's obedience training that anytime she does something to elicit a response from you the best thing is to ignore the dog entirely. It should be on YOUR terms that attention is given. Examples in class were "sad eyes" before you leave the house and OCD behaviors like chasing lights. As long as it's not behavior that needs to be corrected and you're certain it's simply a cry for attention then I was taught ignoring is the way to go because a dog won't continue the behavior if it's not getting results. So far this has worked with the OCD (my puppy was used as a "demonstrator" in class for this one!)Hope that pertains to the pawing as well because it's an easy fix.

• If he's pawing to get attention then I wonder if you are giving him the attention he requires. Depending on type of dog would make difference in amount of attention he requires. I have five dogs, four are over six years old but one is barely one. So the "puppy" wants to play more and yes, Paws to get my attention. And if your dog has long nails, (like mine does) it can really hurt if your not expecting it.