How much does your veterinarian charge for a nail trim?

I work at a vet clinic, and the veterinarian I work for charges $19.00 for a nail trim, PLUS $26.00 for a technician consultation. That means someone has to pay $45.00 to walk in and get their dog's nails trimmed. I think this is absolutely insane, and…

I work at a vet clinic, and the veterinarian I work for charges $19.00 for a nail trim, PLUS $26.00 for a technician consultation. That means someone has to pay $45.00 to walk in and get their dog's nails trimmed. I think this is absolutely insane, and…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much does your veterinarian charge for a nail trim?...

• How much does your veterinarian charge for a nail trim?

How much does your veterinarian charge for a nail trim? General Dog Discussions
      I work at a vet clinic, and the veterinarian I work for charges $19.00 for a nail trim, PLUS $26.00 for a technician consultation. That means someone has to pay $45.00 to walk in and get their dog's nails trimmed. I think this is absolutely insane, and outrageous. I have talked to my boss about this before, but she refuses to change the price. Now, when people ask me to trim their dog's toe nails, I warn them of the price, and show them how to do it themselves instead. If they can't do it themselves, I tell them to go to the groomer next door where it is only $6.00. Do you know how much your vet charges for a toe nail trim? And do you think my vet is charging way too much?I actually am looking for another job now because I don't agree with her outrageous high prices. I feel that she is more interested in money than anything, as you can see by her price of $45 for a nail trim...

How much does your veterinarian charge for a nail trim? General Dog Discussions
    • ???? You're kidding right?Our vet lets the techs do this for free during any regular exam if we ask for it, or it's a $4 charge and free visit if the techs have time between appointments and you drop by with the cat/dog. It's a minimal charge, sort of a courtesy thing.

• Word of caution: you may be looking for a new job soon if you disagree w/ the doctor & his pricing. He is the owner of the business & sets the prices. He must think his services are just fabulous & worth the money for him to charge this much. (Even if others don't agree.)I know this sounds like poor advice, but having worked for doctors & their egos, they don't like anyone disagreeing w/ them & trying to tell them what to do.

• That is absolutely outrageous! I pay $16.50 for my dog to have his nails trimmed at the Vet's office. There is no, nor should there be, a consultation fee. It sounds as though she's a greedy, money hungry person and that's not fair to her clients. I wouldn't work for her if she trimmed my dogs nails for free and buffed them smooth to boot!

• For our regular clients, we usually don't charge, even if they just walk in for a nail trim. For others, I think about $7...and I work at an expensive clinic, but geez, that's steep!Oh, poster above me Nay Smiling, I am also in South Louisiana...New Orleans area...

• 5 dollars for cats 10 dollars for dogs. But it real easy to do yourself. If they start to bleed put flour on it and it will stop. Just don't cut past the quick, and if they are really long cut a little bit each day until they are where you want them.

• I think the price they charge is a little over the top, but if you get caught refering his bread and butter next door, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You will be looking for a new job, I would not have someone working for me who undermines my practice or values, keep your opinions to yourself and be a loyal employee, or find somewhere to work that you can be loyal to.I am glad you are looking for another job ~~ GOOD LUCK!

• My vet would do it for free if I was there for a check up or for any other reason.Otherwise, it's $5 (and chances are, he wouldn't end up charging you anyway).$45 is outrageous!

• the previous clinics ive worked at was around 7.50. the one im at now is 14. be careful about what clients you refer to another place to get the same service. one too many times and they could use it as grounds for termination if they wanted too. but i agree, that is too much.

• My vet charges $8 for nail clipping. What yours charges, it's outraged!!I do all the dogs' clipping myself, but I can see when an elderly person would need help, or when a dog puts up a fight to get them clipped, and need for the vet or vet tech to do it, but not at that price!I had some dogs that they have to be sedated in order to clip their nails, IMO that's the only exception for charging that much

• Its free. If you have other things getting done. Petsmart did my dogs nails for free and I just stopped in while buying food. It takes them less than a minute. The most I have ever heard of charging is $10, and thats for walk ins.