How come dogs are such light sleepers?

When I just check on my dog when she is sleeping, she wakes up just when I turn the light. Sometimes when I just pet her lightly, she wakes up abruptly. Then, when she is sleeping in the house she wakes up from the muffled sound of my slippers against…

When I just check on my dog when she is sleeping, she wakes up just when I turn the light. Sometimes when I just pet her lightly, she wakes up abruptly. Then, when she is sleeping in the house she wakes up from the muffled sound of my slippers against…...
    General Dog Discussions : How come dogs are such light sleepers?...

• How come dogs are such light sleepers?

How come dogs are such light sleepers? General Dog Discussions
      When I just check on my dog when she is sleeping, she wakes up just when I turn the light. Sometimes when I just pet her lightly, she wakes up abruptly. Then, when she is sleeping in the house she wakes up from the muffled sound of my slippers against the tile. I need to clean her ears and cut her nails when she is asleep, so she wont move, but she is such a light sleeper!She is a cute little pekingese.

How come dogs are such light sleepers? General Dog Discussions
    • Your dog sounds more sensitive than most. What's her breed? Probably a watchdog, some sort of protective pooch who wants to make sure everything's OK.As for cleaning her ears and cutting her nails, train her to sit still by positive reinforcement (treats and lots of love).

• Just a guess, but maybe it's because they descend from wolves and wolves had to be on their toes all the time. Both of my dogs are light sleepers and I HATE it.

• Maybe because they feel they are "watching the house" so to speak...i think it is good anyway...but i do feel our little pooches do need their rest...But i think they must get enough even though we may not think so...

• 1.because their,s beds are not comfortableIf u want to know more send an e-mail to me .then we discuss in length.there are more than 100 answers.as I am a doctor of humans , a think i can satisfy u better with my answer.

• I know what you mean! My dog seems to almost never sleep, just relaxed. When I toss and turn, he's awake, He takes cat naps (or doggie naps) thoughout the whole day (Lhasa Apso's are like that)..Occasionally I know he's asleep because he has nightmares, he whoofs in a scared way