what's the best way to cut a puppy's nails?

I have a cocker spaniel a little over 2 months old. His nails are getting long and we've all suffered from them lately. I see nail clippers in the dog aisle at the store but we've never trimmed dog nails before and we don't want to risk hurting him by…

I have a cocker spaniel a little over 2 months old. His nails are getting long and we've all suffered from them lately. I see nail clippers in the dog aisle at the store but we've never trimmed dog nails before and we don't want to risk hurting him by…...
    General Dog Discussions : what's the best way to cut a puppy's nails?...

• what's the best way to cut a puppy's nails?

what's the best way to cut a puppy's nails? General Dog Discussions
      I have a cocker spaniel a little over 2 months old. His nails are getting long and we've all suffered from them lately. I see nail clippers in the dog aisle at the store but we've never trimmed dog nails before and we don't want to risk hurting him by cutting them too short.

what's the best way to cut a puppy's nails? General Dog Discussions
    • It's not hard to trim their nails don't cut them real short just trim off the edges if you wait to long they will grow in to the pads of their feet. They make a few different kinds of trimmers but i don't like the ones that you squeeze and the blade comes up their pad is more likely to get caught in there if it is a smaller dog and you will cut them and it will be virtually impossible to cut them in the future. Get the kind that look like scissors. have someone hold the puppy and put something that tastes good on their finger to keep it occupied. SMy ferrets have very little attention span so I just clip like one foot per day until I get them all done every couple of weeks. My dog is much more cooperative. So you will get it dont worry you can judge how close to cut them though just think about your nails.Heres a link to the kind I like to use I hope this helps!

• I like the scissors-type nail cutters for dogs (& cats, too). I find them easier to handle than the guillotine style.If your puppy's nails are light-colored, this will be easy. You want to clip off the nail where it starts to curve, above the quick. You'll be able to see the quick -- It'll be pinker & there's little blood vessels. If you accidentally nick that, it'll bleed like crazy. (& it hurts, obvously.)If your puppy's nails are dark & you can't see where the quick is, clip off just the sharp tip to start with. The nails will need to be cut more often, but it's worth it to avoid cutting the quick. (I've only done it once & boy did i feel guilty.)Get your puppy used to having his feet handled. It's a control issue for some dogs, but if you get him started young (with lots of treats for putting up with it), the whole feet thing will never be a problem. (My cat actually purrs the whole time i'm cutting her nails, on all 4 feet, because i started it when she was a kitten, she always gets treats, & it never hurts.)