My dogs toe nails are so long. What do I do?

Can I ask my vet to trim my dogs nails really short past the quik? They are super super long and her toes twist on the floor. I have had them trimmed but they grow unbelieveably fast. I am wondering if the vet can cut them really short while she is…

My dogs toe nails are so long. What do I do?

Can I ask my vet to trim my dogs nails really short past the quik? They are super super long and her toes twist on the floor. I have had them trimmed but they grow unbelieveably fast. I am wondering if the vet can cut them really short while she is…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dogs toe nails are so long. What do I do?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Your dog might be snarling at you because those long nails are hurting his feet when he stands or walks. I don't think any vet will cut the nails below the quick- that would be really painful, just like if we clip one of our nails down too low. And that hurts until it starts growing quite a lot. You might try another vet, call and ask first if they can trim them a good amount instead of very small amounts. People who would be doing this are trained in dealing with all dogs. Those who are very experienced go really quick, it can be done in say- a couple of minutes.

• If her nails are too long, her toes probably do hurt. GET THIS DOG TO THE VET. She needs her toenails trimmed. The vet won't trim an animals nails past the quick. It's entirely too painful and subject to infection, even if it's cauterized. Trimming the nails will always need to be done.

• Do not cut the nails past the quik because it could cause an infection. I have 3 dogs & I've never had to trim their nails. Why? My dogs are indoor/outdoor dogs & my backyard has a stony cement. When my dogs run in the backyard, the stony cement must shorten their nails. Now, I know that doesn't really answer your question, so here's my answer. You could take your dogs to the groomer's to get their nails clipped. I think pet stores can clip their nails too. I'm not sure what the cost would be though. If I were you, I would try to take my dogs on regular walks to trim down their nails. Hope this helps!

• If the quick is really long take it to the groomer, and have them grind up to the quick. The nails will still be long. Then keep bringing the dog in every other week to get the nails grinded again, eventually the quicks will get shorter and you will be able to get them very short. Just make sure to keep up with them. You can also buy a dremel and try grinding them on your own. Sometiimes dogs really dont like it and you need a professional to do it!! Make sure to get it done its very painful and can cause bone problems in their legs and feet!!!

• I worked at a vet before and had experience with this. We have cut the nails past the quick in some bad cases, but only while they are under anesthetics. Bleeding of the quick can be stopped with styptic powder. You could also learn to clip the nails yourself. Best done if you have someone to hold the dog while you clip. If the nails are black, you can see the quick under a flashlight.

• If you trim the nails past the quick they will bleed, like ours do when we trim them too short, and yes you can ask your vet to trim them but realize that if the trimming goes past the quick it will cause you pet pain, you diffenitely don't want to hurt you beloved pet any unneccessary pain.

• get her to the Vet and trim the nails-------------it is not good for the nails to be that long. probably hurt. I dont know where you live but the last time my dog had her nails trimmed by the Vet it cost me $10.00

• Here is another suggestion. Use a large emery board (the ones that are for fake/acrylic nails and file your dogs nails. I do this at my grooming shop with dogs that fight trimming. Then I give the owner that emery board with instructions to file their dogs nails once a week, just a few swipes and soon the length will be under control.