Are there dog foods available that have no or little salt in them?

My 18 year old dog has congestive heart failure, and even though she is on Lasix (the dose was just upped today) she is panting a LOT. I read that the Lasix can cause sodium levels to drop because the Lasix is a diuretic type drug.Is there a type of dog…

My 18 year old dog has congestive heart failure, and even though she is on Lasix (the dose was just upped today) she is panting a LOT. I read that the Lasix can cause sodium levels to drop because the Lasix is a diuretic type drug.Is there a type of dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : Are there dog foods available that have no or little salt in them?...

• Are there dog foods available that have no or little salt in them?

Are there dog foods available that have no or little salt in them? General Dog Discussions
      My 18 year old dog has congestive heart failure, and even though she is on Lasix (the dose was just upped today) she is panting a LOT. I read that the Lasix can cause sodium levels to drop because the Lasix is a diuretic type drug.Is there a type of dog food out there that has less sodium then most brands?

Are there dog foods available that have no or little salt in them? General Dog Discussions
    • I would ask my vet about this . a 18 year old and heart faliure dog is very fragil be sure to give fresh water everyday. my 15 year old male Chihuahua had heart failure and he lived 5 years with vet care and medication and lots of love..good luck. I will say a prayer for you and your dog.

• Wellness grain free canned food has no salt. Please, talk to your vet about feeding your dog, she may need to be on a special diet. Look at the better brands of food. The farther down on the list salt is, the less is in there.

• Talk to your veterinarian. They sell prescription foods and probably have one appropriate for congestive heart failure. This may not be what you want to feed your dog ingredient wise, but it's the best thing for her health right now - all other commercial foods have normal sodium levels because they are designed for either "all life stages" or "adult dogs." Most adult dogs don't have issues with sodium, therefore, no dog food is going to be low in sodium unless it's a prescription food. Having said that, avoiding low-quality brands such as Kibbles 'N Bits, etc. is always a good idea - salt should never be listed as an actual ingredient in the ingredient list. Good luck, I hope the medicine helps her.