Who should you get that doggy in the Window From?

I live in Palm Springs, Ca. Usa. Our only Pet Stores are Commercial Pet Stores "Petco" and "Petsmart" and they only Adopt pets out, there's not a selection of dogs to choose from on a daily basis,like pet stores used to do in the past.... There's going…

I live in Palm Springs, Ca. Usa. Our only Pet Stores are Commercial Pet Stores "Petco" and "Petsmart" and they only Adopt pets out, there's not a selection of dogs to choose from on a daily basis,like pet stores used to do in the past.... There's going…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Who should you get that doggy in the Window From?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Who should you get that doggy in the Window From?

Who should you get that doggy in the Window From? Dog Breed Discussions
      I live in Palm Springs, Ca. Usa. Our only Pet Stores are Commercial Pet Stores "Petco" and "Petsmart" and they only Adopt pets out, there's not a selection of dogs to choose from on a daily basis,like pet stores used to do in the past.... There's going to the No-kill Animal Sh0eltor, but it is ran by our Police Department and most the dogs there are either mutts or dogs that you need insurance for because they on a dangerous dog list. Esp. Pitbulls, they claim that they are no-kill but they lucky to get a purebred dog for someone to adopt, they had a Neopolitan Mastiff female there and police man told me if she don't get adopted,this be her forever home, week went by I called him back up to see if anyone else taken her, he said you can come down and get her, I came down the next day afterwords, they told me they didn't have a choice but to put her to sleep because they ran out of space..they obviously lied to me and I was so upset they did this to her, when I wanted give her a wonderful home.People over on Craigslist tell me don't ever buy a dog from backyard breeders, puppy mills, or hoardersSo where can I get me any of these type of Moloser dogs, a dog that doesn't cost me a fortuneAdronicus MastiffAkbash DogAlabai (Central Asian Shepherd Dog, Central Asian Ovtcharka)Alano Español (Spanish Alano)Alaunt (extinct)Alapaha Blue Blood BulldogAlpine Mastiff (extinct)Alp Mastiff (Cane Garouf)American BulldogAmerican Bull MolosserAmerican MastiffAmerican Pit Bull TerrierAmerican Staffordshire TerrierAlangu Mastiff (Indian Mastiff)Antebellum BulldogAnatolian Shepherd DogAppenzeller SennenhundArgentine DogoBandogBanter BulldoggeBelgian MastiffBergamascoBernese Mountain Dog (Berner Sennen)Boerboel (South-African Mastiff)Boston TerrierBoxerBrazilian BullmastiffBroholmerBucciriscu CalabreseBulldog (English Bulldog, British Bulldog)Buldogue CampeiroBullenbeisser (German Bulldog) (extinct)BullmastiffBully Kutta (Pakistani Mastiff)Bull Terrier (England)Ca de Bou (Perro de Presa Mallorquin, Mallorquin Bulldog, etc.)Cane Corso (Italian mastiff, Cane da presa, Sicilian Brancheiro)Cão da Serra da Estrela (Estrela Mountain Dog)Cão de Castro Laboreiro (Portuguese Watchdog, Portuguese Cattledog)Cão de Fila de São Miguel (Azores Cattledog)Cão de Fila da Terceira (Dog of Terceira (Terceira Island, Azores) - see Cão de Fila de São Miguel)Cão de Gado Transmontano (Portuguese Mountain Cattle dog (Montesinho))Catahoula BulldogCaucasian Shepherd DogCentral Asia Shepherd DogCimarrón Uruguayo (Uruguayan Cimarron)Dosa Inu (Mee-Kyun Dosa, Korean Mastiff)Doberman PinscherDogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff)Dogo ArgentinoDogo CubanoDogo Guatemalteco Dogo SardescoDutch Mastiff (An alternate name for a Pug, technically a misnomer from a genetic standpoint)English Mastiff (Mastiff)Entlebucher Sennenhund (Entlebucher Mountain Dog)Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)French BulldogGiant Maso MastiffGolden RetrieverGolden MastiffGran Mastin de BorínquenGreat Dane (German Mastiff)Great PyreneesGreater Swiss Mountain Dog(Grosser Schweizer Sennenhund)Gull TerrGull DangHovawartHimalayan SheepdogKangal DogKomondorKuvaszLandseer (sometimes considered a colour variety of the Newfoundland)LeonbergerMoscovskaya Storozhevaya Sobaka (Moscow Watchdog)Neapolitan MastiffNewfoundlandOlde Boston BulldoggeOld Roman Bull-DogOlde English BulldoggePanther DogPerro CimarronPerro de Presa CanarioPerro de ToroPolish Tatra SheepdogPyrenean MastiffPyrenean Mountain Dog (Great Pyrenees)Rafeiro do AlentejoRhodesian Ridgeback (African Lion Hound)RottweilerSage Koochee (Afghan Sheepdog)Sage Mazandarani[2] (Sage Sangesari)Saint BernardŠarplaninacShar PeiSpanish MastiffStaffordshire Bull TerrierTibetan Kyi Apso (Bearded Tibetan Mastiff)Tibetan MastiffTosa Inu (Japanese Mastiff)Turkish Mastiff (Malakli)Valley BulldogVucciriscuXochasoPlaces like petfinder are cool and all except for the fact that I've always wanted a Bigger Dog Like the Great Dane, Olde English Mastiff, St.Bernard, Cane Corso, Neopolitan Mastiff, Or the BullmastiffThat was a list of the Molosser Family of dogswhich explains there family tree herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MolosserBecause of the Struggling Economy, the owners of the Neo Mastiff couldn't take care of her any longer, she was unfortunately big in size but she was also skin and bones because they left her chained up with not enough food and water so a neighbor anonomously called animal control and they took her in,they said they held on to her for over a month, fed her up as much as they could but sadly that police officer also said that the previous owners hit her, and that right there turned me away from adopting at sheltor, they put her to rest and she didn't do nothing wrongThere at petfinder most of these bigger dogs are located in the Los Angeles Area or Further than 200 miles away, one place mentioned there is owned "Gentle Giants" owned and ran by Actor "Burt Ward" from tv series batman, but they have a major contract with there breed of Giants, they still own them http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/This is what got me interested in owning a large breed doghere you can read "Gentle Giants Rescue/Adoption Application and Requirementshttp://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/forms/adoption_application.htmThere has to be someone better priced than them. lol

Who should you get that doggy in the Window From? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Oh please assuming you could responsibly on a tenth of the dog's listed here you would know good damn and well that a PETSHOP IS THE LAST PLACE TO LOOK FOR A DOG.Start looking up national and local breed clubs and start attending dog shows and talking to reputable breedersNot rocket scienceYou wouldn't find 90% of these breeds in a regular shelter and would be lucky to find a breeder specific rescues. Hell some of these i know don't even have a breed club in the us.

• Have you looked at petfinder.com? They list many animals from many different shelters. A lot of them are purebreds as well. Many rescue organizations have people that will transport animals at no cost to you so you can look outside of your area to find the perfect match for you and your family. I'm so sorry you had to go through that sad situation...how sad for the dog as well. Best of luck to you and be patient in your search since you will have your friend for a long time!!

• Your question is difficult because you have such a HUGE LIST of possible dogs you want. And you claim there are no available dogs closer than L.A. (which is only 100 miles from you) or further and you imply there's nothing closer than 200 miles away from you. I did a search for some of your smaller list of preferred dogs: "Great Dane, Olde English Mastiff, St.Bernard, Cane Corso, Neopolitan Mastiff, Or the Bullmastiff"and there's no such thing as "Olde English Mastiff"I found some in:Desert Hot Springs, Murietta, Escondido, Mountain Center, Anza, Redlands, Apple Valley, Norco, Mentone, Rancho Cucamonga, Mission Viejo, Pasadena, Yucaipa, Fallbrook, etc. etc.You also sound distressed with Gentle Giant Rescue because they retain ownership of the dogs. In the L.A. area, this is not unusual as they have had dogs re-return to rescue from new owners who didn't know how to take care of their dogs and mistreated them of didn't feed them adequately. Maybe you didn't hear about it, but one rescue came and removed a dog that Ellen Degeneras had adopted and subsequently gave to a friend because her doing that violated their ownership contract with her. Dogs for adoption can also be found on Dogster and Craig's list. I have a friend who got one from Craig's list.You have a strog desire for a large breed dog, but have not said anything that would indicate you'd be a good owner to a large breed dog. That's the FIRST thing you need to do... is LEARN how to be a responsible and loving owner to a dog, and a good firm but loving pack leader. I don't think you're ready for a dog yet. -!-

• ahh there's nothing like owning a gentle giant i have a newfie and love him to death.... i found him from a breeder thru pet finder and paid big $$$$s i didn't have him home 2 weeks and found after all kinds of tests and vet visits and then an allergist that he had allergies... then soon after that we noticed that he had problems with his front paws ... took him to an orthopedic surgeon ... surgery was done more $$$$ he still has problems with his front legs but is OK. so my advise is the bigger the dog you want the more time you want to take and check out the BREEDER ! make sure its a very very good breeder or else you will be spending alot of money, like us. don't rush into buying your pup the more you check out breeders the betteri wish you luck