He sniffs and chatters while he smells her pee?

I have a 1 1/2 yr old male lab, and 3 month old female pit. When she pee's he goes over to it and sniffs it plus he chatters his teeth while he does it. Is this something someone else has noticed in their dog?

I have a 1 1/2 yr old male lab, and 3 month old female pit. When she pee's he goes over to it and sniffs it plus he chatters his teeth while he does it. Is this something someone else has noticed in their dog?...
    General Dog Discussions : He sniffs and chatters while he smells her pee?...

• He sniffs and chatters while he smells her pee?

He sniffs and chatters while he smells her pee? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 1 1/2 yr old male lab, and 3 month old female pit. When she pee's he goes over to it and sniffs it plus he chatters his teeth while he does it. Is this something someone else has noticed in their dog?

He sniffs and chatters while he smells her pee? General Dog Discussions
    • Yeah... What the hell is this... I had a golden retreiver and I have a 3 year old male blue nose pit. When our golden would pee, he would go over and sniff it... We would yell at him and he would walk away shaking his jaw, chattering his teeth. This is the only time he does this.... I asked the vet, but they did not have an answer. Maybe it is something with pitt bulls. I am glad it is not just my dog though.... Crazy...

• When your dog smells your females dog's urine (especially if she AND he are not fixed) he is smelling hormones. They have a special scent gland somewhere in their mouths, or throat, or nasal cavity (somewhere around there!) that detects her receptivness for mating. Horses and cats do this too. I volunteered at a vet clinic and someone tried to explain this to me once. I know my answer was a little vague, but thats the way I understand it to be.