What can i do for a limping dog who seems to have hurt herself?

I have an eight year old cockapoo. Yesterday my dad was cleaning the floor. My shih tzu lucy lu accidently knocked it over and the whole floor got wet. My dad saw bailey the cockapoo slide on the wet floor. We had to put her outside until the floor was…

I have an eight year old cockapoo. Yesterday my dad was cleaning the floor. My shih tzu lucy lu accidently knocked it over and the whole floor got wet. My dad saw bailey the cockapoo slide on the wet floor. We had to put her outside until the floor was…...
    General Dog Discussions : What can i do for a limping dog who seems to have hurt herself?...

• What can i do for a limping dog who seems to have hurt herself?

What can i do for a limping dog who seems to have hurt herself? General Dog Discussions
      I have an eight year old cockapoo. Yesterday my dad was cleaning the floor. My shih tzu lucy lu accidently knocked it over and the whole floor got wet. My dad saw bailey the cockapoo slide on the wet floor. We had to put her outside until the floor was cleaned. I noticed a little while later that she wad limping and then started getting around by kind of hopping on three legs. She has not been whimpering or anything but she wont put weight on her leg for about 24 hours. She has jumped of the couch and the bed without problem. I got her pet asprin at the store but today is Saturday. I don't think the vet will be open on Sunday and after that is christmas eve and christmas day. I doubt I can get her to the vet any time soon. Also because my hours have been drasticly cut at work money is an issue. Is there anything I can do for her besides the nutri vet asprin I plan to give her half of each day. (Half because it is for dogs 50-80ld dogs Bailey is around 30lbs.) Should I have her lay on my heating pad?

What can i do for a limping dog who seems to have hurt herself? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to take her to an emergency vet if your vet is not open. If you cannot afford to do so, then you should not have a dog. Paying for unexpected costs is part of owning an animal. She may not be crying, but walking on 3 legs means that she IS in pain. Dogs go through a lot before they show pain. You should NOT be letting her jump off anything, ever. It can cause damage to her spine which will leave you with a $10,000+ vet bill. Do not put her on a heating pad. You do not know what is wrong. Putting heat can actually make it worse. Depending on the injury, sometimes heat is needed, sometimes ice and sometimes both. Take her to a vet or rehome her.

• if it was broken she wouldn't even be walking on it. The vet wont even do an x-ray if she starts putting weight on it again. They can get sprains just like people, doesn't always need a vet. They dont walk on the injured leg at first then start using it again. remember RICE for sprains, rest, ice, compression, elevation... don't know how you'd manage that with a pup! a heating pad can help her discomfort. Ice is for right after the injury to reduce swelling, its a bit late for ice now. If she starts using it again, even if she limps a little for a couple days, she'll be fine. If something breaks they wont use it at all, ever.