How should I introduce two dogs to each other?

We are adopting a dog and we currently have one. They both met in a public place around many other dogs and got along. But know having the adoptable dog come into our property might create problems maybe with our current dog? How should I introduce them?…

We are adopting a dog and we currently have one. They both met in a public place around many other dogs and got along. But know having the adoptable dog come into our property might create problems maybe with our current dog? How should I introduce them?…...
    General Dog Discussions : How should I introduce two dogs to each other?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How should I introduce two dogs to each other?

How should I introduce two dogs to each other? General Dog Discussions
      We are adopting a dog and we currently have one. They both met in a public place around many other dogs and got along. But know having the adoptable dog come into our property might create problems maybe with our current dog? How should I introduce them? Thanks in advance.Current dog is male, adopting is female.

How should I introduce two dogs to each other? General Dog Discussions
    • I would first introduce them from each side of a fence just in case they try to fight. Usually you can tell the alpha dog it will have it's tail straight up in the air and that is a bad thing that will usually start a fight. You need to show them both you are the alpha in the relationship and they will get along really well.

• well first make it a habit so that the old or new dog wont get jealousso f one another! If they dont then they should be fine! You can test this by hugging one of the dogs and if the other dog tries to get into the hug then he is jealous! Try that with both dogs! If you need any further help feel free to email me!

• If they have already met on neutral ground and gotten along, then there shouldn't be much trouble at your place, unless your current dog is very territorial at home. If this is the case, then have your dogs meet once again on neutral ground (someplace close to your home), and walk them back together, letting them enter your yard/home together. This should let your dog know that the other dog is allowed to be there.

• Let them meat a couple of times at a public place and let them play. Then put your dog in a room or crate where he can not see the other dog and let the other dog in and roam around the house to get used to it and smell your dog. Then put the other dog somewhere he can't see your dog and let your dog smell the new dog. I would let them meet at a park again after that and take them on a walk from the park home.You can also give your dog something to sleep on that smells like the new dog for a couple of days before and during.

• ive always found its best to let the current dog sniff hte new one without th enew one being on the ground hold him up and let the old dog sniff all around the new one so they get use to that sent the reverse it but make sure you have good control of the pup and the old dog .. dont let them fight and once they sniff and walk away they will ge tused to each other but makesure they sniff each other and then on ther own walk away....that show that they are ok with the situation and not threatened..

• I just went through this...make sure that you go to get the dog with your current dog...let them ride together and then bring them in together...your current dog WILL be territorial and that's only natural...anyway that you can let them walk in together will be great...don't bring him in alone...the dog will never forget that he came into HIS home! I really hope this helps...it's kinda hard to explain by typing =)

• When you bring the dog into the house, and first let them met on a leash, and allow them to sniff each other. When they know what they smell like put more slack on their leads and see how they react. Once they seem OK let the new dog in the home,a nd watch them closely let your dog of the leash, but not the new dog until your dog seems to be at rest then let the new comer roam. Give them time to get to know each other and expect that your current dog will want to establish dominance. This process will be a lot easier if they are of opposite sex but if that's not the case don't worry. Just take things slowly, and everything will turn out fine. Good Luck and kudos for adopting a dog have a great day.

• Just let them meet; Be by your dog and let them sniff each other out; Your dog might growl at the adopted one, maybe even snarl or snip, but the WORSE thing you could do is to interfear; hes just proving hes the boss.

• through a window or chain linked fence.you may also want to have one person bring the current dog outside, and then yourself bring the new dog to the edge of the property. this allows the current dog to see the new dog, and allow the dog to sniff and see them into their territory. its important to talk very sweetly and calmly. dont say things in low voices like "Be good, calm down." instead, use a happy excited voice like "Wow! Look whos here! Whos that? Good girl!"your dog only cares about one thing - YOU! so in her mind she wants to protect you and your territory. using a low or negative voice makes her think that you need to be protected. using a high, positive voice lets her know that you are OK, and she should be too.