What are some dogs that are small and good with children and cats?

I want to get a dog but my mom said only a small dog. Are there any small dogs that are good with kids and cats?

I want to get a dog but my mom said only a small dog. Are there any small dogs that are good with kids and cats?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some dogs that are small and good with children and cats?...

• What are some dogs that are small and good with children and cats?

What are some dogs that are small and good with children and cats? General Dog Discussions
      I want to get a dog but my mom said only a small dog. Are there any small dogs that are good with kids and cats?

What are some dogs that are small and good with children and cats? General Dog Discussions
    • I personally would never own a small dog especially around my son! They are small and can get hurt easily not to mention that alot of the smaller breeds are aweful nippy and very possessive of items/people.

• Because small dogs are so small they tend to be more timid towards tots. Because tots are so grabby the dog may not react in a good way. Especially chihuahuas. Maybe a Pug or English bull dog. But honestly the #1 animal child sitter is a pit bull terrier. They are known to be great with kids. Nicknamed the nanny. They have a bad rep because people train them to be that way. Well train yours well and she/he will be that dream dog.Hope this helped

• The smaller the dog, the tougher it is to have it around kids. Kids can get too rough for a small dog and injure it. Your better off with a larger breed with a laid back temperment. Maybe a Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever.

• I would avoid terriers unless you are a very active family, they can be destructive when not excersized a lot. (also dogs that are natural herders; EX: SHetland Sheepdog, Corgis....)

• I'd either suggest a heeler which are good with kids or a corgi they are great with kids. There is also a breed out there called a corgidor which mixed between a lab and corgi. I use to own one but had to give him up due to moving and not able to bring him with me.. Good luck on finding the right dog.. :)

• HiI am an animal lover and have a cat and three dogs and i don't trust any of them alone with my one year old. Cats are unpredictable and can lash out when they've had enough patting. Little dogs are snappy.. my maltese cross silky spends a lot of supervised time with my daughter and they LOVE each other but i am very surprised that this jealous little dog that slept on my bed for 8 years pre baby has not yet snapped! Bub pulls her hair and leg and pats very hard. She thinks it's funny to pull the dog's mouth and nostril in oppposite directions and giggle at the doggy teeth. My consolation is if a little dog snaps it will only hurt not kill. I would not have a strong jawed dog near a child. My other two terriers get overexcited and jump at bub. I reckon best dogs around kids r labs or king charles spaniel. It's important to teach kids how to be around a dog.

• There is a breed of dogs known as "Companion". These are usually lap dogs. They usually weigh between 8 and 30 pounds. They are very obedient and only do what you say. They are brilliant minded because they only want to listen to you. Left uncontrolled or untrained, the worst thing they will do is chase butterflies, birds and squirrels. They are more into attempting to playing with them than chasing them really. Companion dogs are generally too small to catch any of these animals but honestly any breed is fine as long as you train them and say "NO" to what they are doing wrong. It is easier to train when they are young. Remember... the smartest dog has the equivalent IQ of a 2 1/2 year old human. That means that their understanding of what you say is limited to about 7 - 8 commands. Use them wisely and it helps to use hand gestures along with words to help them understand. Do not use full sentences. Also a clicker to get their attention when training is helpful. It will let them know that they are about to receive a command and they will look directly at you waiting for that command. Single words or two words with few syllables combined will get you the best results. Be careful of bulging eye dogs around kids because kids have a habit to poke at dogs and prod them.