How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?

How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?can i have links to where you got your information from please?

How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?can i have links to where you got your information from please?...
    General Dog Discussions : How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?

How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained? General Dog Discussions
      How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained?can i have links to where you got your information from please?

How are police dogs and seeing and eye dogs trained? General Dog Discussions
    • 1. Where do you get the dogs? The Seeing Eye breeds its own German shepherds, Labrador retrievers and Golden retrievers. Occasionally, boxers and mixed breeds are used. 2. How long does it take to train a dog? Training a Seeing Eye ) dog is a multi-step process. When the dog is about eight weeks old, it's placed in the home of a volunteer puppy-raiser, where it's taught basic obedience and socialization and given lots of love. When it's about 18 months old, the dog returns to The Seeing Eye and begins a four-month course of training with a sighted instructor. When the dog passes this phase, it's matched with a blind person. The person and the dog then train together, under the supervision of a sighted instructor. Someone training with his or her first dog participates in a 27-day training session. For someone training with a second or subsequent dog, the session lasts 20 days.