How do I get my new puppy and my 3 kitty cats to get along?

My cat Abigail is almost a year old, and the other two cats are close to 3 months...Abigail has been around one other dog, but she didn't like him either, they finally just got used to each other and left eachother alone, but this little puppy wants to…

My cat Abigail is almost a year old, and the other two cats are close to 3 months...Abigail has been around one other dog, but she didn't like him either, they finally just got used to each other and left eachother alone, but this little puppy wants to…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my new puppy and my 3 kitty cats to get along?...

• How do I get my new puppy and my 3 kitty cats to get along?

How do I get my new puppy and my 3 kitty cats to get along? General Dog Discussions
      My cat Abigail is almost a year old, and the other two cats are close to 3 months...Abigail has been around one other dog, but she didn't like him either, they finally just got used to each other and left eachother alone, but this little puppy wants to play with the kitty cats and they're not going for it. I think they're scared of her cause she's got so much energy and runs right up to them trying to play. How do I get her to stop doin this to my cats so that they'll all calm down, without the puppy getting hurt?

How do I get my new puppy and my 3 kitty cats to get along? General Dog Discussions
    • I am having similar problems with my 15 weeks old lurcher pup and 6month old kitten and his 18 month old mum, the older one just stands her ground but the younger one also wants to play but the puppy can be very rough, I have found seperating them when things get too rough works for now and I'm hoping the cat will swipe him and show them what their really made of so making him think when he gets too close. Other wise its just patients and supervision I am afraid.Good luck.

• You can't change the nature of the beast. Just remember that if the cat has enough, it WILL vacate the area....OR let the dog know it's had enough of the shenanigans.Just let them go. The worst that will happen is a few minor scratches on the snout of the dog....if you continue to play referee, the dog will think it's a game and make matters worse. I would be more worried for the babies however, since the dog seems to be THAT rambunctious, you may need to be ready with a fly swatter and a loud voice. Every time the dog starts to get crazy with the kittens, smack the swatter down HARD on a flat surface and yell "NO!!!" at the dog. It'll get the message that it needs to play nice with the kittens, and in a couple of months those will be able to care for themselves as well.