How can i train my schnauzer puppy to use the bathroom outside?

my puppy is only 4 weeks old! but my mom said to potty train him if i want him to live inside

my puppy is only 4 weeks old! but my mom said to potty train him if i want him to live inside...
    General Dog Discussions : How can i train my schnauzer puppy to use the bathroom outside?...

• How can i train my schnauzer puppy to use the bathroom outside?

How can i train my schnauzer puppy to use the bathroom outside? General Dog Discussions
      my puppy is only 4 weeks old! but my mom said to potty train him if i want him to live inside

How can i train my schnauzer puppy to use the bathroom outside? General Dog Discussions
    • Puppies should not be taken from their mothers until they are 8 weeks old. When your puppy is of age to leave its mother, my suggestion is to purchase a crate for him (if you don't already have one). It may be made of wire or solid plastic, as long as it is only large enough for him to turn around and lay down comfortably. If the crate is too large, the puppy will simply relieve himself in an empty corner and avoid that spot. Since puppies do not like to relieve themselves where they sleep and eat, putting him in a crate of this size will discourage urination/defication within the space. Please be aware, however, that a crate is not a cure-all. He should not be expected to hold his bladder all day without being let outside. A suggested method is to put your puppy in his crate with a loaded Kong toy. The puppy will likely settle in his crate and may even fall asleep. Every hour on the hour, right after puppy wakes from a nap or a 15 mins-30 mins after he's eaten, take him outside and wait for him to relieve himself in the proper area. Give him a great deal of praise after he's completed his business and reward him with a treat or two. Treats should continue until the puppy is consistently asking to go out on his own. If you continue this pattern of crate--relax in crate--relieve self--come inside and play, his housetraining is sure to improve in no time. Any time you cannot monitor the puppy yourself, put him in his crate. Never rub his nose in a soiled area, or reprimand him for accidents, as he will only draw negative associations between you and the act of toileting--whether it be indoors or outside. If he finds your presence threatening enough when he relieves himself, he may then, decide to toilet when you are not present. If an accident does occur, wipe up the mess with Nature's Miracle (or a similar product). Most regular cleaning products eliminate the smell of urine and feces for humans, but not dog noses. If your puppy can still smell his mess, chances are, he will relieve himself in that spot again. If you prefer not to crate your puppy when you are home (although this is strongly suggested in order to foster independent play), you may keep him on a leash tied to your person. Watch his body language. As soon as he starts sniffing around and/or circling, it's time to bring him outside. Pick him up quickly and bring him to the right spot.If you'de like more information on housetraining, I highly recommend Dr. Ian Dunbar's book, "How to Train the Perfect Puppy." It's a classic!

• watch him all the time follow him around, and when he is about to use the bathroom, quickly pick him up and run outside (careful he doesn't do it on you)