How do breeders price yorkies?

I have noticed that breeders' websites have puppies that all look the same (same size and cute faces) but the prices vary greatly. I was wondering why a breeder would have puppies (same size) that vary from $500 to $1000. I know females are more than…

I have noticed that breeders' websites have puppies that all look the same (same size and cute faces) but the prices vary greatly. I was wondering why a breeder would have puppies (same size) that vary from $500 to $1000. I know females are more than…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do breeders price yorkies?...

• How do breeders price yorkies?

How do breeders price yorkies? General Dog Discussions
      I have noticed that breeders' websites have puppies that all look the same (same size and cute faces) but the prices vary greatly. I was wondering why a breeder would have puppies (same size) that vary from $500 to $1000. I know females are more than males. I go to breeders' sites and see a puppy for $500 then see another puppy they have that is the same size, sex, both AKC registered and looks just as cute for $800 or $900. Im confused.

How do breeders price yorkies? General Dog Discussions
    • They are priced according to how closely they match the breed standard; the show quality pups are more expensive, because they are higher quality. The pet quality pups cost less, because they aren't really worthy of being used in a breeding program.B*tches cost more because they produce litters.

• The breeder sets the price, They will price the dogs according to what they can sell them for.As long as the dogs are registed and you can see where the dogs are kept, the breeder only breeds one breed of dog, and they dont breed them every heat you will most likely get a good dog. Make sure you can meet the parents of the dog and they are in good health and temperment.Go with your instinct, if something seems to good to be true it probubly is, but i think some of these dogs are overpriced.

• Generally, parental achievement/titles, lineage/pedigrees, and whether or not the pups are being sold as pet-quality or show quality all play a part in pricing. Some breeders will also sell pups of preferred colors at a premium.Few resonsible or ethical breeders will sell females more expensively than males: breeders who do not want their progeny to be bred will simply withold registration papers and/or insist on a spay/neuter clause in the contract of sale. No good breeder should be willing to simply 'sell' a females' breeding rights to an owner otherwise unqualified, for a premium. Charging more for a female on the assumption that the new owner will want to breed is pretty exclusively a backyard breeder tactic.Pose an email to the breeders you're looking at, questioning them about the parent's titles and pup's pedigrees, and asking about genetic screening and test-results for all commonplace and any breed-specific conditions. If a breeder replies that they can't provide any of those things, discard immediately - they're backyard breeding. Those who do look promising, question throroughly about their litters, and ask the breeders themselves about their pricing systems: a good breeder will be willing to explain clearly and concisely about their breeding and selling practices, and shouldn't be hedging or saying "I've always done it this way" etc. Contacting the Yorkshire Terrier parent club, and becoming familiar with breed standard might also help you in knowing what to look for in a pup and breeder: http://www.ytca.org/The Club can also refer you to good breeders active with the Club.