What breed of dog is best to have around kids?

My husband and I were thinking about getting a puppy, but we have a small child--he'll be 1 in November. What kinds of dogs are good around kids?

My husband and I were thinking about getting a puppy, but we have a small child--he'll be 1 in November. What kinds of dogs are good around kids?...
    General Dog Discussions : What breed of dog is best to have around kids?...

• What breed of dog is best to have around kids?

What breed of dog is best to have around kids? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I were thinking about getting a puppy, but we have a small child--he'll be 1 in November. What kinds of dogs are good around kids?

What breed of dog is best to have around kids? General Dog Discussions
    • Labradors and Golden retrievers are great for kidsIf you buy, going to a reputable breeder is a *must*. Both these breeds are heavily BYB bred and many dogs are poor examples of the breed.http://www.thelabradorclub.com/ - labs http://www.grca.org/ - goldens http://www.petfinder.com/index.html - rescue

• boykin spaneilsio dont think thats how you spell iti am 13 and when i was in second grade we got molly our dogat first she was hyper but now she has calmed down and is extreamly attached to usshes really a fun dog becouse she can learn tricks and run around with kids

• I had a West Highland Terrier when my kids were small and she had the most patience of any dog :o) Maybe she was special but she never tried to bite, even when the kids pulled her hair on top of her head.

• any which is raised well.. from rotties to those tiny dogs you can see dogs around kids on youtube... GSDs, Doberman etc.. are all on there - check it out

• There are lots of dogs that are great with kids. Most of it is in the training. Keep in mind no matter waht dog you get you will need to supervise interaction until your puppy is trained and your child understands proper dog handling.One of my favotate breeds known for being good with kids is the Newfoundland they are even nick named the nanny dog, and was the dog featured in peter pan. Great dog.

• we always grew up with goldens -- they're gentle but have energy and they're friendly. my mother just adopted another one and she's very gentle with our baby (she licks him a lot when I'm holding her and doesn't jump or bark or anything, I don't like...leave him on the floor with her, hah). they shed tons though and we had one that was SUPER hyper and would jump up a lot in the beginning but they're sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly. I'd just be concerned about the size -- we've had some big ones. if you can find a smaller (girl), calmer one, that'd be great with a toddler. :)

• If you have a young child, you should try not to get a dog, especially a puppy.Puppies of any breed are a whole lot to handle. You need to train them and they need a lot of attention. Plus your child is still at an age where they will need a lot of attention also. Not all breeds are to the breed standards though, any dog can turn aggressive and potentially hurt your child without the proper training. You may want to think about getting a dog when your child is a bit older and becoming more independent, perhaps around the age of 5 or 6. Then you will be able to have time to train the puppy, and focus some of your attention on it.If you have thought it over and think that this is a time to get a puppy, consider getting an adult dog that is trained for the most part, from a shelter. They will most likely be over the puppy stage of chewing everything. Good luck!

• Labs, Goldens & Boxers. But all of them are hyper and BIG so they might knock over your kid accidentally. But a small breed would be too snappy and nippy and fragile. So I really recommend adopting a trained adult that will be much calmer than a pup or waiting for a couple more years at least if you insist on a pup!

• iv always herd big dogs are the best maybe a labrador or golden retriever, even a german Shepperd, but you still have to do some heavy training and that's with any dog, doesn't matter which is the best one still have to train but labs are really good dogs and the easiest to train, german shepards are very loyal but can get aggressive if you don't socializee them. Golden retrievers are pretty good but can also get aggressive. When i was ababy my mom got me a duahsanch or weenie dog and it was the best dog ever we had if for 10 yrs i also got it when i only a yr old so you can try a wennie dog. there really active as puppies though, my mom said she has to discipline that dog alot to get to be good but all in all there good dogs we have had like 3 already, first one which was 10 yr died second got sick and third ran away, we recently got a new one about 3 weeks ago and shes a really good dog, so you should look into weenie dogs, and sorry i talk so much

• I would honestly wait until your child is at LEAST 6 years old. Until then, I would do extensive research on medium-large sized breeds. I would not get a full grown dog from the shelter, a reputable breeder is your best bet. You can find one at your chosen breed's national club. http://www.akc.org/breeds/index.cfm?nav_area=breedshttp://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/LrnBreedInfoGood luck to you.Edit: Labs and Goldens are NOT one size fits all dogs! They require an active family. And besides, due to poor breeding their temperaments have suffered.

• Well, I have a Golden Retriever, and she's GREAT around kids. Goldens, I have a feeling, love people more than they love dog treats (and that's saying a lot). But I would reccomend getting an older dog, maybe around 2 yrs old, because puppies, even if they're Goldens, can be very rambunctious. Trust me, I should know. Good luck!

• its not so much the breed that helps you. what i would do if i was in your place is i would go to the local humane society and check out the dogs. you can play with them and see if the size, charisma, and energy is right for you. you'd be surprised at what you'll get:)