How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds?

I keep finding conflicting information on the Internet. The last figure I found was 164. I also want to find out how often they recognize new breeds.

How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds?

I keep finding conflicting information on the Internet. The last figure I found was 164. I also want to find out how often they recognize new breeds....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds?...

• How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds?

How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds? Dog Breed Discussions
      I keep finding conflicting information on the Internet. The last figure I found was 164. I also want to find out how often they recognize new breeds.

How many breeds does AKC currently recognize and how often to they recognize new breeds? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Here, you can count them... Sorry, I'm too tired...http://www.akc.org/breeds/complete_breed_list.cfmFrom their site: "The AKC Board of Directors has the authority to add a breed to the list of AKC-registrable breeds if, in its opinion, sufficient evidence is presented to justify such action. There are a number of factors the Board considers in making this decision, including documentation that the breed in question has been breeding true for many generations, with accurate record keeping; evidence that there is sufficient interest in the breed throughout the United States; and a national club in place that meets AKC requirements to act as the parent club for the breed."

• The AKC site just says "over 150" breeds. There is no set time for breeds to be recognized, per the following statement:"The AKC Board of Directors has the authority to add a breed to the list of AKC-registrable breeds if, in its opinion, sufficient evidence is presented to justify such action. There are a number of factors the Board considers in making this decision, including documentation that the breed in question has been breeding true for many generations, with accurate record keeping; evidence that there is sufficient interest in the breed throughout the United States; and a national club in place that meets AKC requirements to act as the parent club for the breed."

• you can count em here's the listComplete List of AKC Recognized BreedsAffenpinscherAfghan HoundAiredale TerrierAkitaAlaskan MalamuteAmerican Eskimo DogAmerican FoxhoundAmerican Staffordshire TerrierAmerican Water SpanielAnatolian Shepherd DogAustralian Cattle DogAustralian ShepherdAustralian TerrierBasenjiBasset HoundBeagleBearded CollieBeauceronBedlington TerrierBelgian MalinoisBelgian SheepdogBelgian TervurenBernese Mountain DogBichon FriseBlack and Tan CoonhoundBlack Russian TerrierBloodhoundBluetick CoonhoundBorder CollieBorder TerrierBorzoiBoston TerrierBouvier des FlandresBoxerBoykin SpanielBriardBrittanyBrussels GriffonBull TerrierBulldogBullmastiffCairn TerrierCanaan DogCardigan Welsh CorgiCavalier King Charles SpanielChesapeake Bay RetrieverChihuahuaChinese CrestedChinese Shar-PeiChow ChowClumber SpanielCocker SpanielCollieCurly-Coated RetrieverDachshundDalmatianDandie Dinmont TerrierDoberman PinscherDogue de BordeauxEnglish Cocker SpanielEnglish FoxhoundEnglish SetterEnglish Springer SpanielEnglish Toy SpanielField SpanielFinnish SpitzFlat-Coated RetrieverFrench BulldogGerman PinscherGerman Shepherd DogGerman Shorthaired PointerGerman Wirehaired PointerGiant SchnauzerGlen of Imaal TerrierGolden RetrieverGordon SetterGreat DaneGreat PyreneesGreater Swiss Mountain DogGreyhoundHarrierHavaneseIbizan HoundIrish Red and White SetterIrish SetterIrish TerrierIrish Water SpanielIrish WolfhoundItalian GreyhoundJapanese ChinKeeshondKerry Blue TerrierKomondorKuvaszLabrador RetrieverLakeland TerrierLhasa ApsoLöwchenMalteseManchester TerrierMastiffMiniature Bull TerrierMiniature PinscherMiniature SchnauzerNeapolitan MastiffNewfoundlandNorfolk TerrierNorwegian BuhundNorwegian ElkhoundNorwich TerrierNova Scotia Duck Tolling RetrieverOld English SheepdogOtterhoundPapillonParson Russell TerrierPekingesePembroke Welsh CorgiPetit Basset Griffon VendéenPharaoh HoundPlottPointerPolish Lowland SheepdogPomeranianPoodlePortuguese Water DogPugPuliPyrenean ShepherdRedbone CoonhoundRhodesian RidgebackRottweilerSaint BernardSalukiSamoyedSchipperkeScottish DeerhoundScottish TerrierSealyham TerrierShetland SheepdogShiba InuShih TzuSiberian HuskySilky TerrierSkye TerrierSmooth Fox TerrierSoft Coated Wheaten TerrierSpinone ItalianoStaffordshire Bull TerrierStandard SchnauzerSussex SpanielSwedish VallhundTibetan MastiffTibetan SpanielTibetan TerrierToy Fox TerrierVizslaWeimaranerWelsh Springer SpanielWelsh TerrierWest Highland White TerrierWhippetWire Fox TerrierWirehaired Pointing GriffonYorkshire TerrierMiscellaneous Class BreedsThe Miscellaneous Class is intended as an interim stage prior to a breed becoming eligible to compete in a variety group at AKC shows. Under our current policy, the stud book will continue to be maintained by the Foundation Stock Service until the AKC Board of Directors sets a date for full recognition. Before entry into the Miscellaneous Class, the Board will work with the national club to determine the variety group to which the breed will be assigned. After a limited time in the Miscellaneous Class a date would be set, at which time the breed would become eligible to compete in a variety group at all-breed dog shows.American English CoonhoundCane CorsoCesky TerrierEntlebucher Mountain DogFinnish LapphundIcelandic SheepdogLeonbergerNorwegian LundehundRussell TerrierTreeing Walker CoonhoundXoloitzcuintliFoundation Stock Service® BreedsThe Foundation Stock Service® (FSS®) was created by the American Kennel Club to answer the needs of today’s rare breed fanciers. The Foundation Stock Service is an optional record keeping service for all purebred breeds not currently registrable with the American Kennel Club.You can follow the links below for contact information (note: we do not have contacts for every breed).Appenzeller SennenhundeArgentine DogoAzawakhBarbetBelgian LaekenoisBergamascoBerger PicardBoerboelBologneseBracco ItalianoCatahoula Leopard DogCaucasian OvcharkaCentral Asian Shepherd DogChinookCirneco dell'EtnaCoton de TulearCzechoslovakian VlcakEstrela Mountain DogEurasierGerman SpitzGrand Basset Griffon VendéenJindoKai KenKarelian Bear DogKishu KenKooikerhondjeLagotto RomagnoloLancashire HeelerMudiNorrbottenspetsPerro de Presa CanarioPeruvian Inca OrchidPortuguese PodengoPortuguese Podengo PequenoPortuguese PointerPumiRafeiro do AlentejoRat TerrierRussian ToySchapendoesSlovensky CuvacSloughiSmall Munsterlander PointerSpanish MastiffSpanish Water DogStabyhounSwedish LapphundThai RidgebackTosaTreeing Tennessee BrindleWirehaired V

• Currently there are 164 fully recognized breeds and another 62 in the foundation stock service. The AKC brings new breeds in every year from the FSS. This year the redbone coonhound and cane corso were brought in.