What dog breds do not shed? Or shed very little?

I am interesting in finding a dog that does not shed. My two pups right now shed like crazy. I'm the proud mommy of a cocker spaniel and great dane.

I am interesting in finding a dog that does not shed. My two pups right now shed like crazy. I'm the proud mommy of a cocker spaniel and great dane....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What dog breds do not shed? Or shed very little?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What dog breds do not shed? Or shed very little?

What dog breds do not shed? Or shed very little? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am interesting in finding a dog that does not shed. My two pups right now shed like crazy. I'm the proud mommy of a cocker spaniel and great dane.

What dog breds do not shed? Or shed very little? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Poodles, schnauzers, shih tzus wheaton terriers (I THINK)...a poster above was very RUDE about it, but is all the same correct- every dog sheds 'dander', if not hair, so non shedding does not mean they will work with someone with allergies.Dogs who don't 'shed' have coats that continuously grow, and they need frequent groomings, with clippings, which you can learn to do yourself or pay a groomer to do every 6-10 weeks or so.

• I know that poodles and Bichon Frise' have "hair" instead of fur...Wikipedia has a list of all breeds considered hypoallergenic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breeds

• Breeds that do not shed: shih-tzu, maltese, lhasa apso, poodle (any size), bichon frise, yorkie, havanese, chinese crested (hairless and powderpuff), bedlington terrier, kerry blue terrier, soft coated wheaten terrier, old english sheepdog, bearded collie, curly coated retriever, bouvier des flanders, irish water spaniel, briard, portuguese water dog. KEEP IN MIND: breeds that do not shed require REGULAR GROOMING to keep them up. That means: haircuts every 4-8 weeks (depending on how you want them to look) and maintenance brushing in between visits to the groomer unless, of course, you keep them shaved which is not good for them because they need natural insulation from the elements.

• I just happen to have a list of low/non shedders on my computer, so you are in luck. Here you go! Affenpinscher Airedale TerrierAustralian TerrierBasenjiBedlington TerrierBelgian Shepherd LaekenoisBichon FriseBologneseBorder TerrierBouvier des FlandersBrussels GriffonCairn TerrierCesky TerrierChinese Crested (hairless)Coton De TulearDandie Dinmont TerrierGiant SchnauzerGlen of Imaal TerrierHavaneseIrish TerrierIrish Water SpanielItalian GreyhoundKerry Blue TerrierKomondorLowchen (Little Lion Dog)MalteseManchester TerrierMiniature PoodleMiniature SchnauzerNorfolk TerrierNorwich TerrierPetit Basset Griffon VendeenPortuguese Water DogPuliScottish Terrier (Scottie)Sealyham TerrierShih-TzuSilky TerrierSoft Coated Wheaten TerrierSpanish Water DogStandard PoodleStandard SchnauzerTibetan TerrierToy PoodleWelsh TerrierWest Highland White TerrierWirehaired Fox TerrierWirehaired Pointing GriffonXoloitzcuintleYorkshire TerrierGood luck finding a new addition to your doggy family, I hope this helps!

• Poodles are supposed to be low shedders, but oy the maintenance! For my short haired shed like crazy dogs, we try to brush daily outside, and also use a shedding blade which works wonders to get all the loose hair off out in the yard, not in the house.

• They all shed! I keep my cocker shaved - so it cuts down on his shedding, but I havent found a dog yet that doesnt shed! The ones that dont shed as much are cockers, shih tzus, lhasas, the dogs that have longer hair- but they still shed. Good luck!

• I own a Mini Schnauzer and have yet to find a hair anywhere, that is unless I shave him. I can brush him all day long and never get a single hair off of him. Its great! I love having a dog in the house, but yet you cant tell.I also own a Neopolitan Mastiff and she sheds, but very little. If I brush her everyday, the hair is very minimal.But if you are looking for a small breed then I would suggest the Schnauzer. They are great family dogs. I have three kids and my mini does awesome with them.