what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?

my dog had some puppies today and she was eating them while she was having them we were able to save 4 of the puppies but she ate 4. I have two other pits that just had puppies and they did not eat they puppies they took care of them and they all were…

my dog had some puppies today and she was eating them while she was having them we were able to save 4 of the puppies but she ate 4. I have two other pits that just had puppies and they did not eat they puppies they took care of them and they all were…...
    General Dog Discussions : what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?...

• what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?

what makes a pitbull eat her puppies? General Dog Discussions
      my dog had some puppies today and she was eating them while she was having them we were able to save 4 of the puppies but she ate 4. I have two other pits that just had puppies and they did not eat they puppies they took care of them and they all were eating the same dogfood. I just do not understand this dog because she is a good dog other than that I had to get rid of her cause not only was she eating her puppies she was trying to eat my other dogs puppies so that is why I am trying so hard to get this question answer. Cause I need to know what to do to save my puppies. Cause I do not want to lose any of my puppies.

what makes a pitbull eat her puppies? General Dog Discussions
    • Mother's generally will only do that if their babies are stillborn or if they don't want them. It's a thing with cats and dogs...they just do it. Chances are, she won't take to the puppies that you saved and they will likely die if you can't care for them like she can.

• Sometimes there is no answer. It's like people. Some people are good mothers, and others dump their babies in dumpsters. Who knows what makes people do that? It might be a nutritional problem, you should ask your vet. I wouldn't breed her again if you don't find out what the problem is. It could turn out to be genetic. Isolate her from the others and see if one of the other mothers will nurse her puppies.

• MY husband has bred pits for about 15 years and says that the dog may have something wrong with her but more than likely the mother will eat the pups that are born with defects or are dying.Feed your babies by bottle. You can contact your local vet and they will guide you in raising your pups. good luck.

• Some possibilities: They're just plain mean. They don't want competition. They follow the law of the jungle like a lot of wild animals (males) who eat the young.But as likely, the mother knew she could not care for all of her pups. Possibly her milk was not adequate or some other innate mechanism of survival was working within her. Thankfully you saved the ones you did. Has she ever had pups before? She does sound a bit crazed, trying to eat the other pups. Good luck.

• SPAY ALL OF YOUR DOGS !!! You have NO clue as to what you or the dogs are doing....Do you have ANY idea how many pit bulls DIE EVERYDAY in shelters and at the hands of CRUEL owners???? If she is eating her pups then she should NEVER be bred again !