Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?

I have had to do that today and both me and my husband are devestated.My dog was 14 years whch is a great age i know but, we both feel so upset, and feel the house is so empty without him around as he was a fantastic dog.We have 2 other dogs, who keep…

I have had to do that today and both me and my husband are devestated.My dog was 14 years whch is a great age i know but, we both feel so upset, and feel the house is so empty without him around as he was a fantastic dog.We have 2 other dogs, who keep…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?...

• Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?

Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep? General Dog Discussions
      I have had to do that today and both me and my husband are devestated.My dog was 14 years whch is a great age i know but, we both feel so upset, and feel the house is so empty without him around as he was a fantastic dog.We have 2 other dogs, who keep looking for him and cant settle as hes not around. If you have been in the same situation, how did u cope? Can you give me any info that u feel might help us come to terms with this?Thanks for your helpThanks to all of u out there who care, and understand what its like to loose a fantastic loyal companion, and un-judgemental member of the family.Your thoughts have helped me.But Ben b, your answer was totally, heartless and unforgivable. I am so relieved that your cat has now departed form your care as if that is your way of looking after a pet, then that poor cat had a lucky escape from you.Also u showed yourself for what you have become a sad and uncareing idiot, who iam sure will be left totally alone one day with no one giving a thought to what happens to you when you need someone.So good luck in your empty little life, ur guing to need every bit of it.

Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep? General Dog Discussions
    • yeah I have had to do that to.It sucks. all I can say is time will help. It hurts like hell I know.And I am sorry.Just love the other animals and spend time with them. They know one of the pack is gone and will need you both to be the leaders and fill the void.

• You need time to grieve.I am very sorry about your loss - it isn't an easy thing to do.Best of luck to you and your husband, and I hope one day you can open your heart to a new little family member.

• I'm so sorry about your dog. I had to put my dog down too several years ago. She was only 7 and she had kidney failure. This was before I had a husband and kids and she was like my baby. I was devastated for a long time. The only thing that helps is the passage of time. Time will lessen the sting altho it won't ever go away completely. Just know that there are others out there who know what you're going thru and we all sympathize with you and are praying for you.

• I had to have my Miniature Schnauzer put to sleep about 5 yrs ago and I have not owned a dog since, that is why it is taking me so long to decide what breed or mix to get because it is like having family well is family and I want the best fit for mine. It was also devastating to me and my son when Natasha passed away and I still think about her all the time, it has been a long journey in getting over it but I know I gave it enough time and now I am ready to add another memeber to our family and in time it gets easier but you never forget, take care..sorry for your loss..

• we had to put the family pet down a couple months ago. he was 14 too and i know he had a great life. its unfortunate that our pets have to go like this but its usually for the best. i felt strange for a couple days knowing i was not going to see him again. its probably harder for you as the family pet dexter ( dogs name) didnt live with me altho i have a 9 month jack russsel and 5 month labrador and i would be devastated if any thing happend to them. just rember the good times you had with your dog and he is now looking down on you. all the best.

• Been there and done it...I'll tell you what, it hurts like hell and will for a while...the only thing I can tell you is it'll get better and it helps if you pay plenty of attention to your other pets because they really do help us during any grieving process.

• I'm sorry about your dog,i had mine put down when she was 14 as she broke her leg and you will go through a bereavement ,your pet was part of the family there is no quick way to get over it,its just like anything else time is a healer,if your other dogs are looking for him leave his blanket out for them or something else that will have his scent on,dogs are intelligent and they will sense he is not coming back but they will still be suffering his lose the same as you.Its a grieving process you will all go through and will come through.im thinking of you all.

• Yes I have had to .I am still overcome with emotion , just to think of it. My brother died later , but I have to be honest I miss my dog more .Oh how I miss him everyday, and it's been five years now.

• I am on dog number 5. It hurts but it is the right thing to do. You shouldn't make a pet suffer just for your own feelings. 14 years for a dog is really good. It just takes time and knowing you did what was right.

• Everyone else uses this as a chatroom, and gives me objectionable remarks to my questions...questioning the question, etc...so lets join in with yahoo "opinions" and just give my opinion, regardless of the relevance.Who took the dog to the vets?I nursed a cat, i didnt initally want, a stray, in old age and a stroke, p i s s ing all over my carpet, so it could die naturally, in familiar surroundings. Im not an animal lover, its just dignity (for the animal).Taking it to a vet is more cleanly in hygene terms, and more convienient, but to treat a family member, to a death in scary, unfamiliar surroundings, is like putting an elderly relative in a nursing home, and saying, theyre old, od them on vallium...its kinder, theyre suffering.Sorry, you killed the dog, you live with the shock of its sudden removal.Without your intervention, the removal and death would not have been so sudden. You didnt put it to sleep. You had a vet kill it with a lethal injection.

• After my beloved dog Odus died, I had him cremated, and I have his ashes in a nice canister. I keep it on the shelf in the living room (well, when I had a home) and I was able to take some comfort in having his remains there with me. Please accept my sympathies for your loss. I like to believe the afterlife has a special place for pets and the people who loved them. Bless you. And, Ben B - that's a really rotten thing to say to someone who is suffering such a loss. Shame on you!

• I had to put my mini Schnauzer (Freddie) to sleep about two years ago and it was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever had to do. He was 15 years old and while I knew that it was time and that he was in pain, I doubted my decision even after the shot was injected. My brain knows it was the right decision, but my heart still hurts when I think about it. I found that while some people were sympathetic, most didn't understand why I was so upset. I fell into a depression and cried a lot. It hurt for a long time. I considered him a member of my family and was angry when people thought I should "get over it". Just take your time and grieve at your own pace. Don't be embarrassed to tell people why you're sad. Your dogs are probably grieving too, even though they don't know where he went or what happened. Just take care of each other and your other two dogs and things will get easier in time. They do have grieving groups for the loss of a pet. I never went to one but it might be a good, safe place to talk about your feelings. I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope you feel better soon.

• Yes it was one of the hardest things to do. But if you own a pet you must expect to outlive them. I had to put down our family pet when she was 15yaers old and very sick. The whole family was upset as she had been with my children since they could remember. I still miss her after several years and will never forget her good nature and patients with the children. Sorry for your loss.

• I'm really sorry to hear about you having to put your baby to sleep today. I can understand how you're feeling today, my doggie was 12 yrs old with cancer and we had to recently put him to sleep, he was my wedding present from my husband. The best way that I coped with it and helped our other 2 doggies deal with it was, We went to the shelter/pound and adopted another dog that otherwise would've been put to sleep if it wasn't adopted. That way the new dogs wouldn't be so focused on looking for their missing brother and starting to get to know the new doggie instead. It also helped with Us by feeling good about saving a dogs life and starting to love another dog as well. we never forget our other baby but it helped in my situation to Deal with it.

• Ive got a poem that the vet gave me IF IT SHOULD BEIf it should be that I grow weakand my pain should keep me from my sleepthen you must do what must be done for the last battle cant be wonYou will be sad -- I understanddont let your grief then stay your handfor this day more than all the restyour love for me must stand the testWe've had so many happy yearswhat is to come can hold no fearsyou'd not want me to suffer sothe time has come, please let me goTake me where my needs they'll tendand please stay with me till the endhold me firm and speak to meuntil my eyes no longer seeI know in time you will seethe kindness that you do for mealthough my tail its last has wavedfrom pain and suffering I've been savedPlease do not grieve it must be youwho has this painful thing to dowe've been so close, we two these yearsdont let your heart hold back your tears.I do hope this helps anyone who has lost a beloved pet!!!!!