My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture?

I'm baffled by Ruby's odd behaviour. lol If you stroke her or pay her attention, she looks you straight in the eye then will bump her mum into the sofa or your legs. She will also sit down with her back against a foot stool and raise her bottom to…

My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture?

I'm baffled by Ruby's odd behaviour. lol If you stroke her or pay her attention, she looks you straight in the eye then will bump her mum into the sofa or your legs. She will also sit down with her back against a foot stool and raise her bottom to…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture?...

• My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture?

My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture? General Dog Discussions
      I'm baffled by Ruby's odd behaviour. lol If you stroke her or pay her attention, she looks you straight in the eye then will bump her mum into the sofa or your legs. She will also sit down with her back against a foot stool and raise her bottom to bump the foot stool. It's all very odd, but very funny. However, I'd love to know why she does it. Thanks

My dog is very good natured, but why does she bump her bottom into peoples's legs and furniture? General Dog Discussions
    • I can't say for sure, from your description, but many dogs are leaners. Sometimes, they lean right in very suddenly - that can feel like a bump. It's usually affection but depending on the dog and situation can also be a sign of dominance as well. If this is happening when she gets attention, I'd say it's affection. If there's no affection but she's staring you straight in the eye, its most likely dominant behaviour.

• could be a worm problem. this causes them to itch and rub thier bottom on various surfaces. you should worm your dog every 3 months with a product from your vet (not from a store)

• Her way of letiing you know what pack she belongs to you are supposed to sniff her bottom them let her sniff yours that way she can tell who and what you are etc., Not 100% certain but think its someything like that

• Or Lhasa mix does the same thing. She does it for attention. She will 'talk' and do her 'butt thumping' til you pet her and talk to her. Everybody gets a kick out of it....it's pretty funny.

• i cant say for sure but what you are describing is typical to a receptive female.when a mae is present the female will look him in the eyes pant and do a full about turn jump to let him know shes ready.i guess what im saying is boy dogs hump the cushions girls offer you their back end.hope this hasnt changed youre views and made it less funny she is after all born to reproduce.

• One of my dogs does that to the other one sometimes. We'll be on a walk and the bigger one will be will be walking ahead of me, and the smaller one will run of to him and kind of booty bump him in the side...it's pretty funny.

• She wants her butt rubbed. Does she have an itchy back or butt? I know a lot of dogs that lean their back into your legs when they want to be pet. And i've seen dogs back their butt up to something to scratch it. But don't worry this is normal, just keep smiling when she does it.

• Is there anything wrong with her anal glands (your vet will check this for you)? My dog does this a lot whenever he greets anyone. I think it could be a sign of dominance