What brand of dog food do you feed your dog?

Just wondering...When I get my puppy I'm thinking of buying her Iams puppy food but I'm not too sure, so I want to see what other people feed their dogs..BQ - Why do people say never to buy cheap dog food? Because for 5 years my mum has given our dog…

Just wondering...When I get my puppy I'm thinking of buying her Iams puppy food but I'm not too sure, so I want to see what other people feed their dogs..BQ - Why do people say never to buy cheap dog food? Because for 5 years my mum has given our dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : What brand of dog food do you feed your dog?...

• What brand of dog food do you feed your dog?

What brand of dog food do you feed your dog? General Dog Discussions
      Just wondering...When I get my puppy I'm thinking of buying her Iams puppy food but I'm not too sure, so I want to see what other people feed their dogs..BQ - Why do people say never to buy cheap dog food? Because for 5 years my mum has given our dog Tesco's own dog food and he loves it plus it hasn't affected his health...Thank you so far :)Ok, i'll search for different brands..

What brand of dog food do you feed your dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Blue Buffalo. Commercial dog foods like iams have alot of fillers like corn in it and that gives my dog diarhea. A food doesnt have to be bad just because its cheap though. Costcos signature brand Kirkland has an excellent dog food (the first ingredients are meat) and its cheap. A 50 lb bag is like 25 dollars

• My dogs are fed a raw prey model diet. However when I had them on kibble they ate Blue Buffalo.When I first adopted my dogs they were on Iams and they looked horrible. They had horrific tear stains and brown faces and just looked kind of yucky. I saw a vast improvement almost the minute I weaned them off of Iams. However, every dog is different so do what works for you.

• Iams is disgusting. Don't get me going on how NASTY it is. I feed my dog Nature's Variety Praire (Lamb), which is very healthy and goes along with the raw diet. I feed my dog the prey model diet every other day, and I feed him the dry food every other day, to keep his diet varied. Here are the first ten or so ingredients of Iams:Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Grits, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, corn, grains, and a by-product! Worst things to feed your dog. Dogs were made to eat meat, not corn and wheat in the wild! Iams has a lot of fillers--so don't feed it to your dog!

• We have tried Mutley on every available dog food going, tin and dry, he does not like anything offered him. He ends up sharing the cats food, even though there is a bowl of his own food right there. Plus he waits for dinner time and we end up giving him the scraps.

• Blue Buffalo here also. Main ingredient is meat. Not a lot of filler, so she doesn't have to be fed as much. It is a little costlier, but lasts longer than the cheap stuff.Dogs can survive on almost anything. Dogs eat their own poo. This doesn't mean it is a good diet plan. You don't have to spend a fortune, but do your research, read labels and try to feed the best you can reasonably afford. Are treated more like family these days and are living longer. You want to contribute to your puppy's quality of life.

• The kind of dog food you feed your pet is very important to their overall health.If you don't care that his coat is healthy and his teeth still look nice, or whether he poops all the time, then you can feed the cheap junk.There are so many kinds to choose from but I would not consider Iams. Read the ingredients lable on a bag of dog food and be sure not to get any kind with corn, wheat glutten or chicken (or any other kind) of by-products in it. I have researched for the past year and have found some dog foods I wouldn't mind feeding to my dogs.Nothing from Wal mart or the grocery stores. The don't carry good dog foods.Here's a few good ones:Nature's VarietyWellnessOrijen

• I use Eagle Pack personally, I'm fairly sure it's been said but cheaper dog foods are filled with preservatives and filler, and there are rumors of roadkill as well though I'm not sure if that's true or not.

• I do a natural diet for my 3yo. I cook chicken or mince and mix in some brown rice. She gets a bit of yoghurt and water, and dry kibble. Tinned supermarket food is junk food!!I feed puppy food from the vet to my pup. Reputable vet clinics will have puppy food there, so get it from them. It should have all the things needed for growth and development, including brain development.

• Wilson's of Dundee muesli stuff, normally with a little bit of Tesco tinned stuff mixed in so it's not as boring. My dog ended up on that since she had a lot of tummy problems (constipation, then diarrhea) and it seems to be quite good at keeping her "regular". Since it's for working dogs it's VAT free as a nice bonus.

• IAMS is one of the worse dog foods on the market, along with any other dog food that can be purchased from places like WalMart, grocery stores. I feed Canidae ALS.MATT: Just curious, what is a dog show breeder?

• Alright i'll give you my imput and research.I've feed my dog iams sense he was a puppy. He grew up strong and healthy. He's lean, fit and very energetic. I know it doesn't have much meat in the kibble so I provide a good canned dog food every few days for him (usually half a can to a whole can at a time). So it's definaty a dog food that wont harm your dog unless your dog is sensitive to it. Some dogs have problems digesting corn. And Iams has alot of corn product in it. So just watch your puppy if Iams is really what you want to get, and for added nutrition buy milk bones for vitamins and puppy canned food (read ingredients for high meat content) for the meat that puppies and dogs neeed.Now saying this... if you can afford better dog food, I'd suggest going to this website to read reviews and ingredients in MANY kinds of dog foodhttp://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/I am changing my dogs food to Either Blue buffalo or Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul. Bother are much better then iams and have less corn in it. My dog handles corn just fine, but going to that site Iams makes 1 star out of 6. Petsmart carries Blue buffalo so it's easier to get, but it's more expensive then the other. I am going to ask my local commissary to provide chicken soup brand dog food for me..and i'm sure a none chain pet store might be able to order it for you if they don't already have it. So do some research...and know that Iams is fine but provide some extra nutrition for a healthy growing dog. I raised a dog on kibbles and bits and she was perfectly fine on it. Iams is a definate upgrade to it... by far. :3

• I feed Blue Buffalo (Small Breed Puppy formula)My dog has a wheat/gluten allergy, so he gets very itchy and his poop is running and smells if he eats dog food with wheat or corn it. Many dogs are allergic to corn, wheat and soy, since those are all unnatural things for a dog to eat.Blue Buffalo isn't the best quality food, but it is corn, wheat and soy free and my dog does very well on it. It was the best we could afford for our budget.

• Basically feed the best food you can afford to buy. I currently feed Blue Buffalo but will be switching to the Kirkland Brand soon for a few reasons. The Kirkland brand is relatively inexpensive and kind of a middle of the road food as far as quality goes. In all honesty Blue Buffalo is getting to be a bit too expensive for me. Blue Buffalo also makes my dog extremely gassy which my vet told me is a common complaint. The bottom line is this: Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for your choice. Feed the best you can afford and take good care of your dog. My folk's had a golden who ate cheap store brand food and table scraps for her entire life and she lived to be almost 15. I'm not saying that your dog should eat cheap food, but I am saying that you don't need to spend $30 on a bag of dog food.

• Hi,You should never buy cheap dog food, for a puppy. The puppy need nutrition to become healthy and grow correctly.Store bought food contains allot of corn and hardly any Meat content.Corn can cause all sorts of allergies, scratching and last but not least, it can make the dog gain weight excessively.Dogs need meat as it's first ingredient and no fillers like starch,wheat rice, etc.Never any food with coloring making the food look appealing but not real.this is extremely bad for the dog.You should go to a Pet store and talk to some of the people there and get a good idea of what dog food to buy.My suggestion would be Wellness Puppy, Evo or Innova Puppy, Blue Buffalo Puppy, Earth Born puppy, Canadine which has 4 meat ingredients. These dog foods have excellent food ingredients inside them and the first ingredients are always a meat content such as Chicken, lamb, Turkey, Duck etc.Some dogs are okay with store bought food like Alpo, Beneful etc, but the bottom line is these dog foods over time can cause alot of problems. Not at first, but later in life, can cause internal organs to operate improperly, growth of the dog to be either too heavy or limbs to be crooked etc.These brands at the Pet stores, are usually expensive but if you do your homework, you can find a good dog food that is not expensive. Canadine is alittle cheaper, but good for puppys to seniors.hope that helps you.