How can I stop my dog from pooing in the house at night?

He is a little Jack Russel Terrier and is about 15 months old now. We have another dog who is 6 and seems too be a role model for our younger dog except when it comes to this! He poos nearly every night. He gets told off and smacked (after putting his…

He is a little Jack Russel Terrier and is about 15 months old now. We have another dog who is 6 and seems too be a role model for our younger dog except when it comes to this! He poos nearly every night. He gets told off and smacked (after putting his…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I stop my dog from pooing in the house at night?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I stop my dog from pooing in the house at night?

How can I stop my dog from pooing in the house at night? General Dog Discussions
      He is a little Jack Russel Terrier and is about 15 months old now. We have another dog who is 6 and seems too be a role model for our younger dog except when it comes to this! He poos nearly every night. He gets told off and smacked (after putting his nose right up against it) but it just isn't working. They get walked last thing before bed.Anyone got and tried and tested methods out there?

How can I stop my dog from pooing in the house at night? General Dog Discussions
    • If you are freefeeding him stop it and put him on 3 meals a day with the last one around 6. take him outside a few times between then and the time you go to sleep and all should be well. also take away the water after 8

• You have to potty train the dog., best way is to watch when it happens, and take it outside and say 'good dog ,when it pulls the chain.Also, make sure you are not giving the dog too much food, when dogs poo a lot, it generally means they are overfed.

• Confine them to an area and train them to go on puppy pads or newspaper. If they gotta go they're going to go...they can't hold it a few minutes like we can and they can't wake you up to take them out. If you don't want any accidents in the house then you should make a place for them outside.

• By smacking him you only tell him you can not be trusted. By putting his nose right up against it you are telling him you want him to eat it. Both are bad ideas. After the fact is to late to do anything but clean it up, out of his sight. If he sees you clean it up he will think that is your job, he poops, you clean. As he does it only at night, crate train him.three websites on how to crate train a puppyhttp://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~rc207100/info-pub.htm http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html http://www.planeturine.com/pettips/dsp_crateTrainPuppy.cfm

• You are doing all the wrong things. Tell a dog off for toileting only means he will be too nervous to do it in front of you... it won't stop him doing it. As for smacking him and rubbing his nose in it, I find that abusive, cruel, mean and unkind. You need to change what you are doing and buck your ideas up.

• Well, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! When are you feeding them? Feed around 6 to 7 pm then wait awhile before walking, maybe an hour. Take your walk with the dogs and keep walking until he does his "business". Then depending on bedtime, take another short walk then.Feeding earlier makes the digestive system work earlier and results in the desired result earlier. It's not going to be an overnight fix, you're changing a routine but it should help to have an earlier established feeding time. Not to be gross but is he having trouble with runny poo? And is it a common thing for him if he is? If that's the case; he might have a food allergy to something in the dog food and it's making him have to go in the night. When we eat something that doesn't agree well, we sometimes have to go too! Ask your vet for suggestions also. He should be checked over to make sure there is not a physical reason for the problem. Has he been wormed lately? There's all kinds of physical reasons that really should be ruled out before one assumes that it's a behavioral issue. Then if it is a behavioral issue, feed every night earler as mentioned above and walk until he does his thing and when you get the desired result, praise him like crazy! Make a big fuss and show him how happy you are with him! Too many times, we only show when we're unhappy not happy. Most dogs really do want to please!

• Is he upset about something? It might sound strange but I would say he is making a stand about something he doesn't like. My dog only did it when I went to a particular friends house with her to stay and instead of coming to the bedroom with me she would have to stay in the kitchen. So that was her little protest to pee on the floor.Do both the dogs get treated the same? Sleep in the same place? Does he have a comfy bed? It could be that he is jealous or something.

• your dog does not need to be punished.you need to change your routine.a dog cannot control his bowel completely until around 2 years of age.if you do not feed anything after 5pm and make sure he has a walk before bed. a trot round the garden will not do. you should find this fixes almost instantly. if not change food to something less bulky like royal canin's all in one for small dogs. if this also does not help then crate your dog over night.

• Hey there, We had the same issue and it was solved rather strangely by methods against other peoples ideas it seems... We started feeding the dogs just before bed time (vets advice) and apparently their food is then not digested until the morning (although you will need to be up earlyish) that seemed to work for us, now we've just got to stop him eating the carpets.RegardsMc