Any advice before we get our Labrador puppy?

Hi everyone,We will be proud dog owners of labrador puppy in the next few months! We have researched them alot but does anyone have any help or advice for the first few weeks with a new puppy? We haven't had dogs since we were kids and obviously weren't…

Hi everyone,We will be proud dog owners of labrador puppy in the next few months! We have researched them alot but does anyone have any help or advice for the first few weeks with a new puppy? We haven't had dogs since we were kids and obviously weren't…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any advice before we get our Labrador puppy?...

• Any advice before we get our Labrador puppy?

Any advice before we get our Labrador puppy? General Dog Discussions
      Hi everyone,We will be proud dog owners of labrador puppy in the next few months! We have researched them alot but does anyone have any help or advice for the first few weeks with a new puppy? We haven't had dogs since we were kids and obviously weren't the sole carers! Any advice will be much appreciated xx

Any advice before we get our Labrador puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Ohhh yes, they will chew & chew & chew...and scrounge for food!!!SO...unless you dont mind them licking everything off your plate, dont give them anything you have on it, or anything your cooking. If you must, put it in their bowl so they know their food is in there, not with you.And they can smell a tad...get it used to baths at an early age :DBut arent they just STUNNING!!!:D Mine is 6 months now...get them neutered then too!

• Get a lot of chew toys. I mean A LOT! Also they need to go for walks alot too. They have arthritis problems, in the hips and legs especially. If they do not get exercise they will develop bad arthritis. They love water, and being in water, they love to play fetch, so just make sure your new pup has many chewable toys, gets many intense walks, and goes to the beach, and you will be a great new mom. GOOD LUCK! They are the best dogs, you will love having him/her around. They are very loyal, friendly, happy, and lovable dogs.

• This is true. The last Lab that I owned chewed everything, dug holes in the lawn, pooped everywhere and bit children. It was the worst dog I had ever owned and it was the last.

• Buy pup from reputable breeder. They should be able to give you best advice for rearing and training. Most will also give you a diet sheet for a suitable and varied diet. Find a local training class, they will train you and the pup. Find a local vet and build a rapore early. Like children they only get disruptive when bored. Find a butcher who can get you marrow bones. They need about five miles exercise a day when adult and lots a lots of cuddles.

• They are quite boisterous as puppies for a couple of years.They like to chew everything especialy shoes,mine ate my football boots and finished my football days--my wife was glad though.They generaly like water and are as a breed good with children.I know a few people whose Labradors suffered from fits---my mother was one.My Labrador suffered with anal gland problems from which he eventualy died as it went cancerous despite having 2 operations over the years.He was 8 years old my mothers Lab lived to 14.They are able to open the fridge and help themselves,my mother had to put a curtain wire around the fridge to stop him and mine was a bin dog guaranteed to empty it over the floor if you did not put it out of reach

• best advice to give you, is to make sure you are getting your pup from a reputable breeder,make sure BOTH parents are OFA good or bettermake sure BOTH parents are CERF's annuallymake sure BOTH parents etc. are show championsmake sure your breeder is guaranteeing this pup for life against genetic health issuesyour breeder will send you with puppy food ( the kind they are currently on) and a whole lot of other things..hopefully you did your homework first..also, have a crate... the breeder should have already introduced the pups to crate training etc..

• along with the other excellent advice get a good supply of patience and paper towels..lol.. remember Labs were bred to hunt all day and have a high activity level. Find a dog park, dog beach, doggy daycare or puppy friend for him. Take him everywhere you can and expose him to as much as you can. Loud noises, diff footings, stairs, horses, kids, trucks, traffic etc. The more he is socialized with people and things the better he will be. Find a good obed. class and he can start his training at 8 weeks. Teach him manners so he will be welcome in people's homes.

• I'm the proud owner of a 9 month old pup who I've had since she was 8 weeks. It can be a lot of work, but so rewarding! I got some pointers from other people, but most of the things you need to know will be self-taught. But here are the basics to bringing up a pup that I learned, so I hope this helps!1. Potty training - There are several signs that your pup has to go to the bathroom. Primarily, they roam the room sniffing like they want to inhale the carpet, and if they find a spot they like, they circle around it a few times. However, the most telling sign will simply be when they wake up. For the first few months of their lives, puppies do one of two things - sleep and poop. That being said, if they're sleeping and they wake up, it's only because they have to go out. So when your pup wakes up, give it a few seconds to gather itself, then automatically bring it to the door to let it out. It's going to involve a lot of up-and-down action on your part, but it's worth it to have a fresh-smelling home in the long run.2. Potty mistakes - Every dog owner has been the victim of an accidental potty break in the house. The thing to do when this happens is to not get mad at the dog (and certainly don't rub their nose in it, like some people do). When you see the dog doing its business, automatically take them to the door you use to let them out, and let them out until they do something outside (i.e. - where they're SUPPOSED to go out). This only reinforces to the dog where he/she is supposed to go to the bathroom.3. Training - At about 3-4 months, it might not be a bad idea to enroll your pup in a training class. I took Bella to PetSmart, and she LOVED it! They teach the basics (sit, stay, etc.), a few tricks, and ways that you can establish your role as the "alpha" or "pack leader" (basically, the boss). Also, being around all those other puppies and people was great for socializing her, she had a lot of fun, and I know your pup would too.4. Exercise - Since you're getting a lab, you're getting one powerhouse of a dog there. They're the sporty, hunting types, and they have a lot of energy. Since he/she is still very little, try taking it out of lazy walks until they're about 3-4 months old (they're bones/ligaments/everything is still developing, so nothing too strenuous just yet). Maybe when it's about 6 months, take it on a more vigorous walk, and when they hit 8+ months, start taking the pup out on light jogs or runs. With the amount of energy that dog is going to have, you'll appreciate the deep-sleep action all that exercise will have on it. Ok, I've run my mouth a lot. But congratulations, and if you want a forum of experienced dog owners and vets to help you, check out dogs.about.com. They made a world of difference to me when it came to raising Bella. I've known some awesome labs, and they're wonderful family dogs - energetic, loving and protective. I know you'll do great!

• Dog Training is full of cliches!Set the demarcation line of what is right and what is wrong from the start! Go to puppy classes and then to a good training centre. Start from the word "go" and get your pup environmentally sound. This means take it everywhere so that it gets used to everything! Do this gradually and build it up. Then you will not get any setbacks. Do Remember...Any problems that this little dog develops are DOWN TO YOU!All members of the family to use the same words!Say what you mean and mean what you say!Never ever change your mind if you have given the dog some instruction!Commands are commands alone and should not be put into a sentence eg "Go and sit in the corner and I'll feed you later""Sit" is in there but it is surrounded by superfluous noise!You will get as much out of your puppy as you are willing to put in!I could go on and on but that's enough to get you on the straight and narrow.You sound like a sensible person. Good luck with your new Puppy and I envy you

• Immediately buy The Dog Listener (Jan Fennell) books. This lady is a dog guru and really knows her stuff. I have an 8 year old Labrador and was having problems with him jumping up to greet people. As I was doing B&B at the time this was just not on as he was jumping up at and, sometimes, pushing over prospective guests. The Jan Fennell method cured him within 10 minutes. I cannot stress enough that everybody who gets a new dog, whether they are experienced dog owners or not, should get these books. This applies to all dog breeds not just Labradors. Amazon seems to be the best place for price I think.

• Dont be lazy about taking your pup out, it must go out no matter what the weather is doing.Be prepared incase of vet treatments (god forbid)Do not wash your dog every 5 mins it should need a bath 3 times a year.Dont be harsh & abuse the pup be kind like you would want others to treat you.I wish you luck with your pup, if needing any advice you know you can rely on us all here @ yahoo to try & advise you.Make sure you have everything you need on bring the pup home, bed/food/dishes/toys etcIf your getting from a breeder (not a backyard breeder!) make sure they give you advice when needed if they cant be bothered with the aftercare then they were just after your money.The breeder should give you some puppy food till you get some.

• HiWe have a puppy, had her for three weeks, a few tips that has worked for us.As everyone has mentioned she will chew, if you find she chews your furniture or kitchen units, spray them with a cheap deodorant (ie Wilkinson's own brand etc) the bitter taste will keep her off and it is a fraction of the price compared to those 'stop chew sprays' in the pat shop.She will also dig, if this becomes too much of a problem, but a small piece of her poo in the hole and cover it over, most dogs will not dig this up - it worked for us.With regards to excersie - this is important however remeber her bones and joints are still developing so limit the time out to 45 min sessions, as she gets stronger you can bring in jogging and extending the time. For the same reason also becareful with her on the stairs - this can cause her problems.And remember she will cry for the first few weeks, dont go down to her, set the rules immediately, they are so cute and it is tempting to go back on things and let them up on the sofa, just once but this will confuse her.It is hard for a while but so rewarding - good luck and have fun!

• Get ready to potty train. They will chew. They are hyper. Try not to bring little kids or hyper people near it because they might jump and play bite. They eat alot, so be carefull what you leave out...Good luck!

• Hi i would highly recommend Jan fennel's books about dog behaviour ,they helped me with both my dogs .The eldest had terrible problems when we got him from the rescue but hes fine now.Our younger dog is a staffy/lab and is definitely more lab! be aware they are walking stomachs and will quite happily over eat! a lot of what you will experience will depend on the personality of your pup but the first thing you will want to do is house train it! its very simple to do ..just take your pup out the same exit every hour or after naps and reward it as soon as it goes were you want ..ignore any accidents you don't see(your pup wont have a clue what your talking about!) and if you see it have an accident say no firmly and take it straight outside.It is a method myself and my mum have always used and in 2 weeks bar the odd accident( we are talking babies here) your puppy will be going to the door to ask to go. If you make it clear what you expect of your dog they learn very quickly.Reward good and ignore bad!Enjoy!!

• Getting Dr. Ian Dunbar's book is a great thing for you to do now:http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB790And it really helped me to go to some training classes before I got my dog. A lot of things have changed regarding dog training (you'll see this from the book) and it's a great help to go and watch people working with their dogs to learn more about positive training.Joining the Start Puppy Training group on Yahoo Groups will be a big help as well:http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/spt/Good luck!

• I have owned and fostered so many different breeds but the Labs are my true love. They are the most devoted, affectionate, intelligent and versatile dogs. I will say they like to chew but by getting them chew toys you can diminish that problem. I think crate training/crating your dog is one of the best things you can do. It keeps them safe and your stuff as well. After awhile they feel safer in the crate ( it is like a den to them). Both my dogs prefer to be in their crates when we are not home. My Lab has slept in my bed siince he was 7 weeks old, and all idid was puppy proof the room. Kong toys are great toy and entertainment for them. Labs are very smart and easy to train. My 2yr old Lab knows over 75 commands/words. The best way to have a great Lab is lots of exercise. Wether it is swimming or hiking, or retrieving or just walking it helps cut down on their energy and makes them a better all around dog. I would never have another dog, the love and laughs the give are not surpassed. Congratulations on your new puppy.