How long should you walk a puppy for?

My family and I have just bought a puppy, he is a strong and healthy German Shepard labrador retriever mix. He is six weeks old, and when he gets older and has his vaccines, I was thinking about starting leash training and such. When it gets to the point…

My family and I have just bought a puppy, he is a strong and healthy German Shepard labrador retriever mix. He is six weeks old, and when he gets older and has his vaccines, I was thinking about starting leash training and such. When it gets to the point…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How long should you walk a puppy for?...

• How long should you walk a puppy for?

How long should you walk a puppy for? Dog Breed Discussions
      My family and I have just bought a puppy, he is a strong and healthy German Shepard labrador retriever mix. He is six weeks old, and when he gets older and has his vaccines, I was thinking about starting leash training and such. When it gets to the point where I can take him outside on walks he will likely be six months or so, how long would be a good distance for him? Up and down the street? More? Less? Thank you very much for your help.

How long should you walk a puppy for? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I'd walk him for a short, breif period, probably a couple of miles or just a block. Start small, than gradually walk longer overtime.Don't just walk him for long miles right away, he might encounter situations or something that could scare him and you'd have tons of trouble trying to get him to walk on a leash.A puppy just needs a nice, easy and fun walk to start off with. Up the street sounds good!

• It depends is you r dog small or big if big like a mile or a half if a small dog like half mile or if you want to continue walking with a small one carry it

• start by training him in the garden and getting him used to things then increase the walk to 10 mins and about three times a day that means he is getting his daily exercise and he is not overdoing it gradually increase over a few weeks to strengthen him up and get him used to longer walks eventually you should only have to walk him twice for a reasonable time which both him and you can enjoy.

• PLEASE - take him back and demand that the person with the mother dog keep these puppies togther until they are 8 weeks old. It makes an enormous difference in their ability to face the world and meet challenges with a sense of security - it's also very likely against the law. When you do get your puppy, look upon a walk as a lesson at first, rather than exercise. Baby puppies need to go no further than the walk to the mailbox and back, avoiding places where other animals have been. Make sure you end each lesson on a good note, and don't go near anything that will scare the puppy - and use a no-slip Premier martingale collar attached to a nice little leather leash- never put a leash on a puppy collar, or you could very quickly have a naked puppy in the traffic. 5 or 10 minutes at first is more than enough - but only after 8 weeks, period.

• Err on the side of caution with a puppy who is this mix. Both are prone to Hip Dysplasia, and in the case of the Lab, Elbow Dysplasia too, so I'd not be putting any more strain on immature joints and bone, before the muscle tone is starting to build up to support. He just needs to be able to run around, in your garden until all his shots are complete, and then off your property. I'd not do much controlled road work to begin with, up to around 6 months. After that, it's gradually building up his muscles until by a year, he can probably take as much as you are prepared to do with him.Lead training by all means, between now and when he can go out in public, so it's not all totally new to him.His breeder should be able to help you with advice, although I can't help saying that any breeder who sends their puppies out before they are 8 weeks, minimum, may not be one of the best!!