Labrador puppy - where do I find one, what questions should I ask?

My husband and I have decided to get a labrador puppy in September. Although I grew up with labs, I've never been in the position of getting one and I know there are several things to look out for so some advice would be appreciated.We are not actually…

My husband and I have decided to get a labrador puppy in September. Although I grew up with labs, I've never been in the position of getting one and I know there are several things to look out for so some advice would be appreciated.We are not actually…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Labrador puppy - where do I find one, what questions should I ask?...

• Labrador puppy - where do I find one, what questions should I ask?

Labrador puppy - where do I find one, what questions should I ask? Dog Breed Discussions
      My husband and I have decided to get a labrador puppy in September. Although I grew up with labs, I've never been in the position of getting one and I know there are several things to look out for so some advice would be appreciated.We are not actually bothered about it being pure pedigree - would be happy with a mix as long as majority lab, but don't know where to start to find one! If we do get a pedigree, what questions should we ask the breeder (isn't there something about hips to be aware of and do we need to see KC papers?) and where would be a good place to find a breeder?We are in the North East of England so if anyone knows of anyone who may have pups ready for around September please let me know.Thanks.And for pure pedigree, what sort of cost should we be looking at?

Labrador puppy - where do I find one, what questions should I ask? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would talk to a vet and find out how to access the purebred governing body. They should have a list of breeders.As you are not particular about purebred, you could try shelters or rescue organizations.Yes Hips are a problem in Labs, ask if the parents hip have BOTH been exrayed and certified clear of dysplaysia.Good Luck!

• Where can you find one - Admag/Agilitynet.com/friday ad mag/local paper. If you definately want a pedigree puppy type in labrador breeders and you should get the page that brings up the REGISTERED breeders in the UK. I personally prefer cross breeds as you reduce the risk of genetic problems such as the hip problems that are common in some breeds especially labs. You would be looking from anywhere from £100 + for a cross breed to £300+ for a pedigree.If you go for a pedigree ask to see the kc papers for the mother and ask when the papers (if they aren't all ready there) will be ready for the pups. In general when looking for a puppy ask/check these questions:1.) Have they been wormed/has the mother been wormed2.) can we see the parents.3.) Has the mother had many litters/when was the last one4.) Where have they been brought up and in what conditions ie have they been regularly handled and experienced tv/hoover/children etc.5.) what are they eating6.) whats the temprement of the parents like.Choose a pup that responds to YOU. spend as long as you can choosing your puppy as it is going to be living with you for a minimum of 12 years.

• You could put your name down for a failed guide dog; they make great pets even if they didn't make the grade as guides.Here's the url for the Association of Pet Behaviour Therapists, they do some really good training booklets.You need to know how to pick the right pup from the litter, and how to avoid picking the wrong one. You need to know the difference between a healthy pup and a poorly litter; and when to keep your money in your pocket and walk away. There are some really good books on puppy rearing that can show you what to look for, but can't beat experience.You need to check that both parents have been scored for Hip Dysplacia and are clear; specifically ask that as you won't know how to read the x-ray or certificate. You also need to see a current certificate of vaccination.I'd recommend you find a knowledgeable friend to go with you and help.

• Labs must be hip-scored and eye-tested (clear result) prior to breeding. It is also recommended that labs are elbow scored and DNA tested for PRA prior to breeding. For a purebred lab your best bet is to go through one of the breed clubs (details below) and ask them for a list of breeders that adhere to their Code of Ethics: COTSWOLD & WYEVERN LABRADOR CLUB. Sec. Mr K Gawthorpe - 01932 874539 EAST ANGLIAN LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mrs J Cole. Tel No: 01354 680375 KENT SURREY & SUSSEX LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mrs K Walsh. Tel No: 01483 797653 LABRADOR CLUB OF SCOTLAND. Sec. Miss Farquarson. Tel No: 01382 459099 LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mr A Ellis. Tel No: 01766 522146 LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB OF NORTHERN IRELAND. Sec. Mrs Hughes. Tel No: 028926 38603 LABRADOR RETRIEVER OF WALES. Sec. Mrs M Barker. Tel No: 01443 842585 MIDLAND COUNTIES LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mrs J Allen. Tel No: 01733 222649 NORTH WEST LABRADOR RETRIEVER. Sec. Mrs S M Saunt. Tel No: 01942 212280 NORTHUMBERLAND & DURHAM LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mr P A Smith. Tel No: 01642 292965 THREE RIDINGS LABRADOR CLUB. Sec. Mrs P Gill. Tel No: 01943 467926 WEST OF ENGLAND LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB. Sec. Mr G Cox. Tel No: 01566 785121 YELLOW LABRADOR CLUB. Sec. Mrs Wiles. Tel No: 01895 823227 For a lab cross your best bet is to contact your nearest rescue centre. Try here: http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php or Lab rescue:Labrador Lifeline TrustAnne Carter (Admin), Blandford Forum, Dorset. Tel: 01725.516969Fax: 01725.516955, Email: [email protected] Labrador RescueMrs A Latchford, Shenfield, Essex. Tel: 01277 226587 Fax: 01277 230795Email: [email protected] Rescue KentMrs M Hinks, Cranbrook Kent. Tel: 01580 720408Email: [email protected] C Malkinson, Chatham, Kent Tel: 01634 666419Email: carol@malkinson.freeserve.co.ukwww.labrescuekent.freeuk.comLabrador Rescue North WestMrs G Fryer, Blackburn, Lancs. Tel: 01254 207660.Email: [email protected] Rescue TrustMrs Belinda Filmer (Regional Co-ordinator), Cheltenham. Tel: 01242 820432Mrs Sheila Pratt (Area Co-ordinator), Somerset. Tel: 01278 685815Mrs Sheridan Stern (Area Co-ordinator), Cornwall. Tel: 01208 77749Miss Linda Edwards (Area Co-ordinator), Devon. Tel: 01837 83595Mr and Mrs Bryan and Gloria Jones (Area Co-ordinator), Dorset. Tel: 01202 245691Mrs Christine Warman (Area Co-ordinator), Wiltshire. Tel: 01793 487346www.labrador-rescue.com Email: [email protected] WelfareMrs K Davis (Chairman), Goole, North Humberside. Tel: 01405 766753Miss J Roberts (Secretary), Sheffield, S Yorks. Tel: 01142 661756Midland Counties Labrador Retriever Club RescueMr H Cook, Nottingham, Notts. Tel: 0115 921 3785Northern Labrador RescueMr G Thackery (Secretary) Barnsley, Yorks . Tel: 01226 351888Miss F Grant, Morpeth, Northumberland. Tel: 01665 570365North West Labrador Retriever Club RescueMrs P Balshaw (Co-ordinator), Blackpool, Lancs. Tel: 01142 450044Mrs M Wilkinson, Chorley, Lancs. Tel: 01257 480968 Good Luck

• Dogs Today magazine has contact numbers for reputable dog breeders.Labradors tend to fall into different types depending on whether they are from working stock, show stock or 'pet'.A good quality Labrador should ideally be one where the breeder works the dogs, qualifying them in Field Trials, and also shows them successfully in Breed Shows. That way you hopefully get an intelligent, good-natured dog who is also physically sound. Many Labradors suffer from hip dysplasia where the head of the femur and/or the hip socket are abnormal. This can range from slight to severe. Responsible breeders ensure that their dogs are x-rayed and hip-scored before breeding. Both the parents hip scores should be available to prospective buyers but you need to find out the significance of the scores before you ask!I think the most important thing is the temperament - meeting the pups parents and older siblings or other relations is a good indicator of what your pup is going to be like.Start looking NOW but don't rush into anything. Find out about local dog shows - dog magazines, some pet shops and Vets advertise them. Talk to the people around the Labrador rings and make some contacts.The parents of all pure bred Labs should be registered with the Kennel Club and the breeder should register the litter. They should provide you with a Transfer of Ownership form for you to complete and send to the KC and you should get a pedigree. Some breeders give you a puppy pack, puppy food and as much information to help you as they can.You can book a puppy as soon as a litter is planned but as I said take your time because the pup you buy could be with you for fourteen or fifteen years.Beware of ads in the free papers and on the Net. Responsible breeders should be very fussy about where their pups go and some even provide a questionaire for people wanting to buy a puppy!You could be looking at anything between £300 and £500.You could, of course, do all this planning and then walk into a dogs home and find the perfect pet! Good Luck.

• Check out the Kennel Club and Your Dog magazine as they will both provide you with local (Or as close as can be) registered breeders who wouldn't be on their lists if they were not guaranteed good breeders.I know you want your puppy in September but, and depending on what kind of dog you want (Show or pet) You might have to wait a little longer in order for you to get the very best. I waited 9 months for my OES because i wanted a super dog. It's paid up!As for fees they will vay between breeders but a good show dog will caste you back anything from £650 onwards. Good luckRos

• Most lab pups will be around £600 -£900 depending on the quality of the pup. Get in touch with the kennel club and they will be able to give you a list of reputable breeders. You will be paying more now, but will get better quality and less problems later. The other question you need to answer yourself is do you want a working or show type. The working type need more mental stimulation and are prone to being more destructive, but are easy to train, and not so chunky. The show type need less excercise but are prone to putting on weight as they are a bigger build. They tend not to be quite as bright as the working strains. Once youv'e decided this you will need to find a breeder who has had both parents hip-scored as labs can get hip dysplacia later in life. You may have to wait longer than september but you will get the pup you want. Other sources are breed rescues also available via the kennel club. These should not charge you except maybe for the upkeep of the dog in the last year. A lab is a great choice and I wish you the best of luck

• The best bet for you is to keep checking the papers (classifieds, etc.) and local humane societies. You can even be on a list that will notify you if the breed of your choice becomes available. the other option is to being searching Petfinder. They have purebreds as well as mutts of all kinds, and you can read the breakdown.Purebred dogs (from breeders) can run from $150 to $500. Please make sure you are not buying from a puppy mill.

• I would start by calling the Kennel Club, They will definitely have a list of breeders in your area. If you don't want to pay loads for a dog, go to your local RSPCA animal rescue centre, they always have loads of poor homeless dogs!

• i recomend the pound!here is what to look for:1.check the color of his nose. it should be completly black2.hernias. hernias are bumps and they can be found every where.they aren't a big deal they are cosmetic thing. if it has a hernia it is ok just make sure you have it checked by a vet.3.gums. they shouldn't be pale. if they are that means it could have a sickness due to ticks and fleas(usually pound dog don't have tick or fleas)4. they should not wine when you grab them from the neck skin.(if they are a puppy! don't do that to older dogs!lol!)hope this helps!!!P.S. dogs from the pounds are healthier!!

• If you're going to get a lab make sure that BOTH parents are OFA hip certified. Labs can have really bad hip dysplasia that can set in even as young as a year old, which leaves you looking at about an $1800 hip replacement or euthanasia. Also make sure that the breeder lets you see both parents, sometimes they'll only let you see mom because dads got a bad temperment or vice-versa... make sure they've both got the temperment you're looking for in your new pup. Good luck!

• i have an 8year old golden labrador, her name is Gypsy, she is the most wonderful dog ever, no one can even imagine the love she gives and the love she recieves back!when we got her, the person we brought her from was apparently dropping a puppy off about 15miles from where we live so he said he would pop in to show us one of the pups!He knew exactly what he was doing! if you have a little 7week old fat golden labrador looking at you with those beautiful seal like eyes....can you honestly say you dont want the dog, or that you'll think about it! We brought her despite not seeing the mother, having no proof that it wasnt a puppy farm she had come from...and with no records of hip tests!We paid £380 for her...and yes, she has trouble climbing off the sofa or off your bed when you want to get in it....but i think its a bit of selective 'arthritis'!! She can soon get her butt indoors when its dinner time!! yes, you should check everything out before you get a labrador, but i cant see that its any different than getting a dog of a different breed, how can a vet say, yes, its going to have a problem with its hips in the future?Pedigree papers....ummmm, Gypsy ate hers when they were posted thru the door, as they had to be sent to us after we didnt let the man leave with Gypsy!!heres a few places where you could look for a dog....it makes sense to rescue one i think...http://www.shelterhelper.co.ukhttp://www.labradorworld.co.ukhttp://www.dogpages.org.uk/breeds.htmhttp://www.manytears.co.uk/Many tears is always worth getting a dog from. the people that run the place are amazing, really out for whats best for the dog. i would have them all if i had the space!!!Good luck, and well done for deciding to get such a great breed of dog for a pet!!! xx