What is the best way to see if my dog likes puppies or not?

I would like to one day introduce a puppy into our home but my dog has a mixed reaction when meeting other dogs so im very weary of just letting her meet a puppy incase she turns on it. When she on the lead she is really protective but off lead she just…

I would like to one day introduce a puppy into our home but my dog has a mixed reaction when meeting other dogs so im very weary of just letting her meet a puppy incase she turns on it. When she on the lead she is really protective but off lead she just…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best way to see if my dog likes puppies or not?...

• What is the best way to see if my dog likes puppies or not?

What is the best way to see if my dog likes puppies or not? Dog Breed Discussions
      I would like to one day introduce a puppy into our home but my dog has a mixed reaction when meeting other dogs so im very weary of just letting her meet a puppy incase she turns on it. When she on the lead she is really protective but off lead she just wants to meet everyone? Any suggestions for a succsesfull meeting?

What is the best way to see if my dog likes puppies or not? Dog Breed Discussions
    • we put the new puppy in a cage over night and let our german shepard sniff him or watever they do. then the next day we put german shep on a leash (just in case) and let little puppy out. it worked for us

• grown up dogs don't really hurt puppies, so i guess you have to be a little careful initially, but soon the dog is going to adopt the puppy as its own.i introduced a puppy to a 3 year old pet dog that i had. and though this older dog was very ferocious towards outsiders n stray dogs, he didn't touch the puppy at all! initially he kept following the puppy n getting used to the smell. Soon, they started playing with each other, usually tearing things apart together! and over the years the bigger dog even got protective for the smaller one!

• I would say the younger the puppy you bring in the better. That way your dog doesn't feel like its territory is being threatened. When you bring the puppy into the home you should be probably be holding the puppy so that you can pull away quickly if needed and just let your older dog smell the puppy and get used to it. Keep petting your dog with a hand that has touched the puppy so it gets used to that, but stay very calm, because animals do pick up on feelings. The more you're okay with it the more okay your older dog will be. And after you've done the initial meet and greet set the puppy down in a room without toys or food, nothing that the older dog for sure sees as his and just let them get used to each other. Gradually introducing the puppy to the whole house and letting the older dog see that its okay that the puppy is there. And soon enough they'll be just dandy. Really more then anything your dog is going to take its cue from how you're acting and feeling. If your stressed out about this, then the older dog is going to react to that. So keep yourself calm and happy. Keep talking to both dogs and petting them.

• As long as you are pack leader and you have accepted the pup every-thing should be o.k. Also keeping your older dog on a lead might make it feel more threatened toward the unleashed pup. I have also brought kittens into the house, the dogs might no like it but the kitten belongs to the house and the dogs accept because you have accepted. Don`t give your dog reason to be jealous and never leave him out of your affections, always praise and give treats to him first because he is second in command in your pack. As a rule older dogs never hurt pups anyway. Give it a go, I am sure you will have one happy family full of joy!