Has my Lab puppy been weaned to early and eais he underweight?

Hi,I am getting a black lab puppy on the 28th Dec, he will be 7 weeks old then. The breeder has been feeding them dry food only since 4 weeks old?! Im sure this is wrong....She has just called me to say he is 5lb2 and hes 5 weeks old right now. I think…

Hi,I am getting a black lab puppy on the 28th Dec, he will be 7 weeks old then. The breeder has been feeding them dry food only since 4 weeks old?! Im sure this is wrong....She has just called me to say he is 5lb2 and hes 5 weeks old right now. I think…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Has my Lab puppy been weaned to early and eais he underweight?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has my Lab puppy been weaned to early and eais he underweight?

Has my Lab puppy been weaned to early and eais he underweight? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi,I am getting a black lab puppy on the 28th Dec, he will be 7 weeks old then. The breeder has been feeding them dry food only since 4 weeks old?! Im sure this is wrong....She has just called me to say he is 5lb2 and hes 5 weeks old right now. I think this seems underweight to be honest.What should I do? Tell her to put them on wet food? Please give me advice based on the situation I dont need a lecture......Thanks

Has my Lab puppy been weaned to early and eais he underweight? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Most puppies are started to be weaned by the end of the third week, so if he's been eating a good quality puppy food since 4 weeks, there's nothing 'wrong' in that. What would happen, or what we did with our litters, is start them on warmed goats milk, teaching each individual puppy how to lap. Then you quickly move on to adding a good quality puppy food, and mixing it with either warmed goats milk, or just water, into a porridge, gradually decreasing the amount of liquid as they get older. Weaning, onto solids, is usually complete by 6 weeks although good breeders know how vital it is to keep puppies back for the extra weeks, to be sure they are all doing well and able to survive without mum being around. This is the finishing part of weaning - being able to go out into the world without needing mum at least.You can't tell how well a litter is doing by weight alone! If they look ribby and underweight, then they are underweight! If not, then they may just be small puppies for the breed much as I'd suggest not?If you are not happy about this breeder, then you don't have to buy this puppy. Talk to the Breed Club, ask for the names if good breeders and hopefully this one will be on the list! One thing you certainly cannot do is tell a breeder what to be feeding their puppies! I'd tell you where to go if you tried that with me!!! I assume you have been to see the litter, mum, where they are being reared (conditions) and met the breeder? To be honest, although there's no rule in the UK about this, I'd not want a breeder who is willing to send their puppies home at under 8 weeks, minimum.

• I brought home a ChowXRotti at the age of 5 weeks old and he was eating canned, kibble and drinking water. This puppy is most certainly underweight for his age and I suggest you remove him sooner then the 28. He clearly requires more calories and that is fixable, Blue Buffalo is an excellent product both in canned and kibble for puppy and dogs this is what you have to purchase and nothing else. No warming of goats milk and porridge nonsense. I have raised four dogs and at this moment I have two handsome males, I have never fed them that mixture always puppy food as a matter of fact my dogs also eat raw meat, fruit and veggies. This breeder is an airhead would love to use other language but I am prohibited.

• I brought home a ChowXRotti at the age of 5 weeks old and he was eating canned, kibble and drinking water. This puppy is most certainly underweight for his age and I suggest you remove him sooner then the 28. He clearly requires more calories and that is fixable, Blue North is an excellent product both in canned and kibble for puppy and dogs this is what you have to purchase and nothing else. No warming of goats milk and porridge nonsense. I have raised four dogs and at this moment I have two handsome males, I have never fed them that mixture always puppy food as a matter of fact my dogs also eat raw meat, fruit and veggies. This breeder is an airheaf would love to use other language but I am prohibited.

• Do yourself a favour and don't buy this pupupy this breeder obvioulsy has no idea what she is doing and i better she hasn't even had the gentic health test done to both the parent dogs to make sure they don't pass on serious health issues to their offspring. Labs are prone to hip dysplasia which can be very serious. You could find yourself with alot of expensive vet bills and hearttache. She obviously just want to make money. One big warning sign or a irresposnsible breeder is she is allowing her puppies to leave at 7 weeks . They should never leave their mum and litter mates before 8 weeks i know it is only a week but that week is so important for their social skills and puppies that leave to early tend to have behaviour issues as they get older. You need to buy form a repuatble breeder who has spent the time and money to make sure they produce healthy, quality puppies .Iif people stopped buy form irrepsosnible breeders who don't care about produce healthy, quailty puppies just money it would stop alot of suffering in puppies and dogs .