How can i convince my fiance to let me get a puppy?

I have always wanted a dog, my mum and dad would never allow me to get one and always said wait till you have your own home. I moved out 6 years ago, but now its boyf who is saying no, aaah! am i destined never to to have a canine friend? How can i…

I have always wanted a dog, my mum and dad would never allow me to get one and always said wait till you have your own home. I moved out 6 years ago, but now its boyf who is saying no, aaah! am i destined never to to have a canine friend? How can i…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can i convince my fiance to let me get a puppy?...

• How can i convince my fiance to let me get a puppy?

How can i convince my fiance to let me get a puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have always wanted a dog, my mum and dad would never allow me to get one and always said wait till you have your own home. I moved out 6 years ago, but now its boyf who is saying no, aaah! am i destined never to to have a canine friend? How can i persuade him to change his mind?

How can i convince my fiance to let me get a puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I guess you love him??? Tick him off about this dog fettish and he may get another girl friend.. Do what he says--he knows what is best... Bring a dog home and you may be living at mum and dads... And they will not let you bring the dog into the house...

• If your fiance doesn't want one, why would you want to bring one home? You'll either have your fiance resent you, or you'll have a very sad dog. If he doesn't want one, then find out exactly why (time, space, money, allergies) and see if you can address those issues.

• Just buy a dog.No matter how much he says he is against it, once he sees the little happy bundle he can't say no.And if he is willing to keep you from what you want, and what you've never had the opportunity to have, tell him to get the hell out of your house.:)And if you are going to get a dog, I encourage you to buy a shelter dog instead of a breeders dog or a pet shop dog. They need rescuing very badly right now!

• this may be a little cunning, but i would ask him for his rasons, pretend to come round to the idea then start asking for a baby. Hopefully he'll say no to that as well but might suggest a dog as a compromise!

• get a really cute puppy and see if he can resist! as long as there isn't a good reason he said no, such as not enough space, allergies etc. or if its his place not yours, then it would be rude. if none of these problems exist i wouldn't try to convince him, I'd get a lovely big eyed puppy and watch him fall in love with it! you could say its just a trial to see if you all get along and you'll return him if not- hoping you wont have too. hehe

• this worked for me=if only i could have a puppy id call myself so very lucky just to have some companee, and share a cup of tea with me, id take my friend most everywhere lala la i wouldnt care, we would stay away from crowds and signs that say no dogs allowed,try it ,it worked well for me,(( david cassidy i think))

• You're an adult and you've got an adult relationship. Ask him for his reasons for not wanting a puppy and you tell him your reasons for wanting one. If he hasn't got any valid reasons but still won't let you have one then you have to ask yourself if he's really the person you want to spend your life with. On the other hand if he's got practical answers such as you not having the time to look after one then you should listen to him. being open and honest with him and yourself is the way to go in relationships, there needs to be flexibilty on both sides.

• If this is something you really want, then he needs to compromise. Just like if it was something he really wanted I would tell you the same thing.Maybe a compromise could be you telling him you are going to get a dog and let him decide what kind it will be..... Good luck!

• find another boy friend and get a dog. dogs don't tell you what to do and accept you for what you are. i would not want to have a dog with someone like this around. this type of person wants to control everything and everyone . it will be miserable for the dog. dogs take patients and training. i don't know if your boyfriend will have the patients and this would cause alot of confusion for the dog.do you think you can live the rest of your life having a one sided marriage (his side that is). if you are willing not to have the dog you have always wanted so be it. you don't say what his reason is,has he given you one.

• .If you can spend a LOT of time at home when you get a dog don't worry about it. If you own your own home and can afford to change the carpets that your dog pees on or the furniture that it destroys go ahead.Perhaps you are in rented accommodation and your landlord won't mind a destructive dog. Think about what will happen if your landlord asks you to leave because of your dog. Who will rent to a couple with a dog and where will the dog end up.Rescue centres are available short term and thousands of dogs are euthanized every day.Don't risk this happening to a dog which you will grow to love and may ultimately have to part with.

• I too recently had this problem, but now have an adorable 11week old puppy! The main thing is if you're in an adult relationship and planning to get married the decision to get a dog must be a joint one. Some of the other responses to your question are just ridiculous - when your folks said no to a dog you didn't 'get one anyway and they're stuck with it', or 'pack their bags for them'. Your fiance is gonna be your family, and you've got to respect his wishes too.Ask him his reasons for not wanting a dog and put some thought into your own reasons for wanting one so you can make a good, reasoned argument. Do you want the company? The exercise? Can you afford a dog - time and finance need to be taken into consideration. If you want to convince him do your homework on the breed you're interested in and be willing to accept that it just might not be the best thing for you guys as a family at this time, but give each other a chance to have your say.