How do I get my dog to accept new puppy.?

I have a female 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier (Lucy) and brought home a new female 8weeks (Tia) on wednesday. Lucy is very placid and well behaved as I think all dogs should be given rules and limits aswell as love. I thought Lucy would love a playmate…

I have a female 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier (Lucy) and brought home a new female 8weeks (Tia) on wednesday. Lucy is very placid and well behaved as I think all dogs should be given rules and limits aswell as love. I thought Lucy would love a playmate…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I get my dog to accept new puppy.?...

• How do I get my dog to accept new puppy.?

How do I get my dog to accept new puppy.? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a female 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier (Lucy) and brought home a new female 8weeks (Tia) on wednesday. Lucy is very placid and well behaved as I think all dogs should be given rules and limits aswell as love. I thought Lucy would love a playmate but she just isnt taking to Tia. Im not forcing anything and just letting them get on with things. They are fed together (Lucy backs off until Tia is finished), sleep together (Lucy keeps moving away if Tia wants to cuddle in). I just wondered if they need time or is there something I could do to move things along. Lucy growls if Tia gets a sneaky nip at her leg but apart from that is keeping her distance. HELP!I dont feed Tia before Lucy, I feed them at the same time and Lucy chooses to back off without getting any agression from Tia. Isnt it Lucy"s job to show her dominance in her own way rather than enforcing it. I dont favour one over the other I treat them equally even given Tias age.

How do I get my dog to accept new puppy.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They will accept each other. Each dog is trying to figure out it's role (either dominant or submissive). Dogs are pack animals and will enjoy each others company to play & be together.

• You have demoted Lucy, by allowing the puppy to eat first. Dogs are pack animals and you need to allow Lucy to be the leader, by feeding her first and allowing her to go ahead of the puppy, when you take them outside. Make sure you pay equal attention to both, always pet Lucy first and then the puppy.

• Tia is a new family member. It will take time for Lucy to adjust. May take 1month may take 1year. It just depends. But trust me Lucy will get use to Tia and then they will become best buddys. Trust me! *DogLover*

• Keep Tia in a closed off section of the house to start off, and bring Lucy to the section a little at a time. Feeding them together might be counterproductive because it could make Lucy feel threatened and eat faster. It will take a little time for lucy to establish where tia's place is in the "pack" so I wouldn't worry about just nips, they're just Lucy telling Tia her place.

• It sounds as if eventually everything will be fine. Ideally, it's best to take the 2 of them to a neutral place, like a park, to introduce them, BEFORE bringing the new one into the home. By growling, Lucy is asserting her dominance, which is the way it should be. Give them equal love and affections and in no time, they'll be playing together like best buddies!

• First try to make the older dog feel like the puppy is it's own,try to make sure they spend lots of time together but you also have to supervise them until they form a close relationship.

• Puppy doggy playtime! Get your dog and the puppy together in one room, go over to your dog and play with hime rub her down, make her the IN CHARGE one. She was there first after all. Then get your puppy and take him over, give her a toy and give your dog a toy. Try your best to play tuggy with them both at the same time. Chase them around the room, you know stuff like that. But if either gets growly don't scold either just more onto something different go play with one. When you start something new do it with the dog first so she knows you know she is head honcho! Devote some time in this room and let no man or dog leave when you are doing this. Have fun!

• well it helps if the two were raised together..But if its liek my cats..in order from oldest to youngestcleo, toby, bailey, scarlet.cleo is tolereant to Toby b/c he is only a year or so younger than her (cleo is going on 9 human years and toby is about to hit 8).. But the two youngest ( both are a year old from the same litter) she is really mean to.. liek hissing and growling etc..Toby on the other hand is nice to everyone.. But he was kinda upset about the new arrivals for a short time... and bailey and scarlet LOVe toby, but know to stay away from cleo..anyway the point in that was, maybe Lucy is just trying to show that she is the oldest and that makes her the dominant female.. But Tia is still a baby..she probably jsut want sto play and Lucy doesnt.. =Djust give it some time.. What I did with my cats was put them in the laundry room so they coudlnt run anywhere, and i woudl be in there with them to make sure nothing got out of hand.That or just hold the new cat and sit down by the older cat and pet both to show that i loved them both equally and try and get rid of that jealous factor so common in cats..i never had any trouble with dogs tho.. infact.. my two dogs that passed a long logn time ago.. oldest was abeagle, youngest was a black lab.. then there was my gma's dog.. she was roughly in betwen both their ages.. the odd thing was the oldest and youngest were like best pals.. the youngest even pushed the other dog out of the way so the oldest could eat... anyway.. i hopd that helped.. sorry to make it SO long...

• You are doing great. They will work out the pecking order themselves. I have a 12 year old and a 10 mo. old. When we brought the younger one home he was 8wks. old and weighed 2 lbs. The older one is 23lbs. I had the same concerns you do. At first we let them stay together when we were home. If we left the younger one was gated in a room. The older one slept with us the younger one slept in the gated aria etc. They ate together and played together. Gradually (NOT LONG AT ALL)the older one became like a mother hen to the baby (they are both males) Now they are always together. I don't know what we will do when the older one goes. I can't imagine one without the other. Good luck. I'm sure you and your dogs will do fine.

• They've only had a few days so be patient. Don't allow the puppy to eat first, hold her or put her in another room until Lucy has eaten. I'm sure Lucy will come round and they will end up the best of pals.

• You don't need to 'move things along'. It all seems to be going well as it is. Lucy will growl at Tia sometimes, its just her way of telling her to back off. It is ok that she is keeping her distance. Tia is probably looking for a mother substitute in Lucy, but Lucy is still only a puppy herself so will not want to be a mother to the little one. As Tia gets older they will play together more and decide for themselves who is dominant. Let them sort out their own relationship and try not to be too anxious. P.S I would feed Lucy first.

• 1st of all you did the right thing getting a 2nd dog. It will work out in time - be very patient and give the older dog loads of attention. I wouldnt worry about the odd growl my older dog still growls at my younger dog and we had her a year now. Have fun.