Is it a good idea getting a new puppy while you've had a Dog for 8 years ?

Hi, I need some help, me and my family were thinking of getting a new puppy but we've already had this other Dog (Henry) since he was born for 10 years, I was just thinking would Henry like it and what would change with him. Henry is a laid back labrador…

Hi, I need some help, me and my family were thinking of getting a new puppy but we've already had this other Dog (Henry) since he was born for 10 years, I was just thinking would Henry like it and what would change with him. Henry is a laid back labrador…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it a good idea getting a new puppy while you've had a Dog for 8 years ?...

• Is it a good idea getting a new puppy while you've had a Dog for 8 years ?

Is it a good idea getting a new puppy while you've had a Dog for 8 years ? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi, I need some help, me and my family were thinking of getting a new puppy but we've already had this other Dog (Henry) since he was born for 10 years, I was just thinking would Henry like it and what would change with him. Henry is a laid back labrador and prefers to be around small but playful dogs such as beagles which is what we are planning to get. Could anyone help me ?

Is it a good idea getting a new puppy while you've had a Dog for 8 years ? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It would be best to take Henry with you when you are looking at the puppies. Henry will let you know which pup has the energy he likes. You don't want to bring one home that is not compatible.

• Im not sure but I can say that my friend had a 14 year old dog and he got a new puppy and everything seemed ok all he had to make sure of was that the puppy didn't get to playful with the older dog. I would also say that the Labrador will keep your new dog in check. I say you should go for it.

• I just got a Border Terrier puppy 2 weeks ago and have a 15 year old female who had 2 litters in her lifetime and was a wonderful mother. Unfortunately she has not taken to the pup so its causing us a bit of concern keeping the 2 of them apart. She is probably just too old to be bothered with a youngsterThe funny thing is we have a 5 year old Dobermann who just loves the pup and wants to play with her. She weighs 3lbs 6oz and he is 95lbs so its hysterical to see her chasing him in the garden. You may be lucky and they will get on with no problems but just be alert for anything and don't leave them unsupervised.

• my jack russel was 10 when we got our gsd and it was the best thing we ever did she took him on as her baby and loved him to pieces 4 years on there still best friends. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't best to introduce him to the pup before agreeing to have it. if he's a good tempered friendly dog i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work it might pay you to also try letting someone else's dog into your house if he has a friend he plays with for instance invite them over and see how protective he is of his house as to whether he would except a new comer good luck hope it works out :)

• i think its a great idea i had a 10year old dalmation and got a labrador pup they got on like a house on fire the older dog more or less brought the pup up teaching her everything she needed to know sadly my older dog has passed on recently my pup is now 3 and doing fine.