How long can i leave a puppy on his own?

I'm wanting to buy a puppy and have done allot of research i'm just wondering whats the longest amount of time for a puppy to be left alone?

I'm wanting to buy a puppy and have done allot of research i'm just wondering whats the longest amount of time for a puppy to be left alone?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How long can i leave a puppy on his own?...

• How long can i leave a puppy on his own?

How long can i leave a puppy on his own? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm wanting to buy a puppy and have done allot of research i'm just wondering whats the longest amount of time for a puppy to be left alone?

How long can i leave a puppy on his own? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I leave mine alone for a regular work day and it is fine, as long as you understand that they can't be crated until about 6 months old if you're going ot be gone that long and every day you will come home to pee and poop to clean up. You will get tons of people who disagree with this and say it's too long, but I have five dogs and they are all healthy, happy, and well-socialized.

• Ideally a puppy should have a lot of supervsion, that's the best way to teach them early. If you are going to keep your puppy in a crate while you're gone, I wouldn't do it for more than a few hours at most. If you leave it for much longer you could run into problems with your dog being too hyperactive when he/she gets out of the crate, and it's a long time for a dog to 'hold it'..... If you'd be gone for more than a few hours at a time, please wait to get a dog until you have more time to dedicate to training it!

• You will probably need to gradually build up the time you can leave your puppy on its own, start with an hour and build it up to a couple of hours. I wouldn't leave a very young pup for any longer than this at first. Dogs obviously have to be left for periods of time but i would do it gradually so the pup doesnt get anxious and realises that you are coming back. Eventually i'm sure you can go out for several hours and the pup will be just fine as long as it has water and toys to amuse him/her and is left in a safe environment where he cant hurt himself or do damage to your house like confining him to a kitchen where he has room to move about and sleep. Good luck.

• It is usually 1 hour for each month of age, plus 1 hour, so a two-month-old puppy can only be alone/hold its potty for 3 hours at the most. You may want to hire a dog walker, pet sitter, come home during a lunch break and take the puppy out, get family to help, someone from church, just until it gets a little bigger. Remember the bladder isn't grown until 6-months-old, and they are not fully potty trained until 1-year-old.