I am wondering the best way to house train my new puppy?

I am going to pick up my 8 weeks old bichon puppy in two weeks and i am looking for advice on how to toilet train him? I have read so many books on training my puppy, and had so many different friends opinions, i am just wondering if i should paper train…

I am going to pick up my 8 weeks old bichon puppy in two weeks and i am looking for advice on how to toilet train him? I have read so many books on training my puppy, and had so many different friends opinions, i am just wondering if i should paper train…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I am wondering the best way to house train my new puppy?...

• I am wondering the best way to house train my new puppy?

I am wondering the best way to house train my new puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am going to pick up my 8 weeks old bichon puppy in two weeks and i am looking for advice on how to toilet train him? I have read so many books on training my puppy, and had so many different friends opinions, i am just wondering if i should paper train to begin with or have a spot in the garden i should take him to! Looking for the most effective way for him and i to learn!

I am wondering the best way to house train my new puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • i got a 6wk old pup from the pound n i crate trained her withing a week she was showing signs of going to the door to go potty she is doing great with it and no mess ups on the floor if i was u i would look into crate training its awesome

• First off, you need to find out how is your puppy currently being trained, that will help you decide on what to next. When I got my puppy she was trained to go on Wee Wee pads so that helped me a lot. When training your dog one of the most important things is when they go to the bathroom pick it up and put it where you want your dog to and then walk you dog there and let them smell the area. They wil begin to get the idea.

• Gently take him outside every time you catch him having a 1 or 2 Talk to him in a stern voice in the house and give him lots of praise in the garden.All dogs want to please their owner and they soon catch on to what is right and wrong.Don`t forget that they do not speak English.Telling them that "Mummy is annoyed" will not work.They "read"voice intonation and facial expressions plus repetitive commands.A little and often works, but you will have a few damp patches on the way.What the hell is "crating"

• If you want your dog to go to the bathroom outside then that is what you need to do from the start. Dogs do not generalize like we do and they don't understand the difference between the paper you put down and your rug so you will have more accidents in the house if you paper train. It has been my experience that if you crate your puppy when you are not home or not watching it you will have the best results. Also, set up a schedule for your puppy. Such as get up in the a.m., let the puppy outside, feed the puppy, after the puppy has eaten let it outside again as they will go to the bathroom shortly after they eat. Get ready for work and let the puppy outside again before you leave. An 8 week old puppy will have to go out every couple hours. Crate the puppy during the day. Make sure the crate is a happy place with toys and a bed. During your lunch break come home, let the puppy out, feed it and then let it out again. In the afternoon, it's the same thing. If you are home, Attach a leash to you waist and have the puppy go with you while you are doing things in the house. This will allow you to tell when the puppy has to go to the bathroom and will help to form a strong bond with your puppy. In the evening feed the puppy again and let it out shortly afterwards. Before you go to bed let it out one last time. It should be able to sleep through the night but if it gets up let it out and put the puppy right back to bed. Being consistant is key. Have a regular feeding schedule and watering schedule. Make sure your puppy has plenty of water when you are home but none if you are gone. That is if you are home every few hours. This will help to regulate when your puppy has to go to the bathroom. It will also eliminate accidents while you are gone. Never punish your puppy if you don't catch it in the act of going to the bathroom in the house. This does NOT mean rubbing his nose in the mess or hitting your puppy. A firm NO does wonders. Lots of treats and praise when it does go outside to the bathroom. Don't let your puppy unsupervised on the carpet or have full run of the house. If so they will find places to go to the bathroom. If puppy does have an accident, the best stuff to clean it with is Nature's Miracle. Good Luck!!!