Can I use crate training AND Puppy pads?

Tomorrow I will be bringing home 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I plan on crate training them. I also was going to use the puppy pads OUTSIDE of the home when I take them out for their potty breaks to teach them that it is appropriate to eliminate…

Tomorrow I will be bringing home 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I plan on crate training them. I also was going to use the puppy pads OUTSIDE of the home when I take them out for their potty breaks to teach them that it is appropriate to eliminate…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can I use crate training AND Puppy pads?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can I use crate training AND Puppy pads?

Can I use crate training AND Puppy pads? Dog Breed Discussions
      Tomorrow I will be bringing home 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I plan on crate training them. I also was going to use the puppy pads OUTSIDE of the home when I take them out for their potty breaks to teach them that it is appropriate to eliminate outside instead of inside of my home. Is this a good idea? Please understand that the pads are not going to be used inside of the crates or my home. Only when I take them outside to the spot where I want them to eliminate outside the home! Please let me know if this is a good idea! Thanks in advance!

Can I use crate training AND Puppy pads? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes that is a good idea but also you will have to train them to go scratch at the door when they have to potty!But if you dont they will just go anywhere!My nanny did that and it worked they found out that if they go in the floor they go outside until they use the bathroom again so they just stand up on the screen door and wait sometimes they get mad and run up against it and it pops open but good luck with those very cute pups

• Why on earth would you want to teach your puppy's that it is OK to go to the bathroom inside your house??????? Forget the puppy pads, they will only make the crate training take twice as long.If you use the pads (EVEN OUTSIDE) the dogs will find substitutes for the pads inside the house (like your furniture) The entire point is to teach the puppy that the GROUND is the only suitable place to go to the bathroom. Look at it from the dog's point of view, while you are teaching the dog that it has to use the pad you are also teaching the dog that IT IS NOT OK TO USE THE GROUND.

• First of all, you are going to have your hands full, house training one puppy on its own is bad enough! Are you sure the person you are buying these puppies from is a reputable breeder? Most responsible breeders won't sell 2 puppies from the same litter for this & other reasons. Anyway, I wouldn't use puppy pads outside - you are just wasting your money. Take the puppies out one at a time when you thhink they need to go (after play, after eating & when they just wake up) and stay with them until they've performed. Then praise them to the skies. When they make a mistake inside, don't tell them off, just clear it up & watch out for the signs they give when they do want to go out.Good Luck

• Crate training indoors and putting the pads out of doors sounds like an excellent plan. Keep in mind, though, that dogs have no conscious control of their bowels or bladder until they're about 4 months old. So, if your dogs are younger than that, you have to be very careful about crating them for long periods of time, and understand that although starting them on potty training when they're young is a great idea, they may still have accidents until they can better control their bodily functions.To assist further with potty training, it's a good idea to feed the dogs only at specific times during the day. This helps to put their bowels and bladder on a "schedule" (so they'll eliminate around the same time each day). Don't leave food out for them all day (if they eat all day, they'll poop all day); and restrict their water during the night so they're not getting up, drinking water and urinating at nighttime.Good luck with your new dogs!

• If you're not going to use the pads inside your home, then I wouldn't bother wasting the money on them. If you just take the dogs out to where you want them to do their business (usually immediately after waking up, after hard play, and after meal time they will have to potty) and reward them with lots of play and some yummy treats when they potty they should pick up on it really quickly. If you're sure they are "full" and need to potty but they don't go, take them back in the house and put them in their crate for a few minutes, then try again. There is nothing natural to a dog about pottying on a puppy pad, you have to train them to do it there the same way you train them to go outside, so they really won't help you as an additional cue to teach the puppies not to potty in the house. It could even confuse the puppies later when you decide they are housetrained and stop using the puppy pads. You will have made the pads their prefered potty surface and then when they are no longer available your dogs will have to figure out where they are supposed to potty now.

• If you are training for outside there is no need for pup pads. The pup when placed in the appropriate place(grass) will relieve itself. To use pads outside would get very expensive. i have a small dog and she is trained for "inside" uses litter box as I live in an apt. Dogs as a rule will not soil their sleeping space(cage) Do make sure you put them outside as soon as you take them out of cage. This needs to be done fairly often when you start training. Good Luck and enjoy your pups.

• Yes, that would work. Once you take your babies out of the crate for the day, first thing you would want to do is take them outside and put them on the pad. Once the have done their "duties" praise them.However, I do want to ask if there is a reason you want to use the puppy pads outside. The choice IS UP TO YOU.( I'm not wanting to tell you what to do. I would just like to share a little advice...if that is ok). If you are going to take your babies outside, you could let them use the grass and then use a pooper scooper to clean it up. This is going to be less expensive that way. We use the puppy pads....but only when we are going to bed or leaving the house...because we have small dogs and they can't seem to "hold it". But during the day we take them outside in the grass. (but if they get use to a puppy pad outside....it could be hard to break them of that if you decide to let them go in the grass later) Puppy pads can become very expensive, especially if you use them outside. THE CHOICE IS YOURS I JUST WANTED TO HELP SAVE YOU SOME $$$$$.CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABIES:Brandie!http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wild_About_Animals/

• It would be easier to get some soiled newspaper from the breeder, put that on the spot you want them to use as the toilet. Take them there every hour, wait patiently with them and reward them when they use it. The newspaper will smell like the 'right' spot to them.It will work as long as you always ignore 'mistakes' - punish mistakes and all you do is confuse the pup. The focus changes from learning where they should go, to trying to appease you to prevent the punishment.Good luck!

• I don't like crates to be used on any dogs, but people are going to do it regarless so I might as well tell you the best way to do it and I wouldn't use puppy pads outside either. When you take them out all you need to do is take them to the same area each time. They will learn that is where they need to go..Don't understand the pads being used outside. People are miss using crates, it use to be a safe haven for dogs I feel now they are just puppy jails when someone don't want to take time for their dogs. I have nine Shih Tzu's and none of them were ever in a crate, except at my groomer placeWhen buying a crate for your puppy you want to be sure it is the right size, In order for it to become a home for your pet the create must be comfortable. It should be large enough to allow your pet to stretch out flat on his side , stand up, and turn around. It is preferable, though , to get a crate that would be to big rather than too small.Location is key. You want to put the crate in a quiet area of the house where there is as little traffic and excitement as possible. Place a blanket or rug on the bottom of the crate, and provide a nylabone or hard rubber toy for your puppy to chew on. To indruduce your puppy to his/her new crate start gradually. Encourage them to go into their house. Offer words of praise and encouragement. Leave them in the crate for 5, 10, 15, and 20 minutes, eventually working up to half an hour of crate time.Give your puppy a chance to relieve him/hserself before they are put in the crate. At night don't give your puppy water after 7:00 or 8:00 pm or at least one hour before bedtime.In just a few days your puppy should look forward to spending time in the crate and venture outside of it by choice/It's not all about crate time, allternate with time to play and time to go to the bathroom . Once your puppy is trained he/she can be put in the crate for one or two hours at a time throughout the day during nap time or when they are alone.Gradually accustom your puppy to being in the create while you are in another room. Never use the crate a means of punishment. Then it will be useless as a training tool.If you will be gone for a long period of time, put you puppy in an enclosed area with his crate door open. Leave a pile of newspapers as far away from the crate as you can, because naturally you puppy will want to relieve him/herself as far away as possible from where they sleep.Make sure your puppy is happy and content when he/she is inside the crate. If they are firghtened, sit by the crate and reassure your puppy the best you can.

• If you want them to toilet outside then whats the point of taking the pads? your just making more work for yourself.I suggest you just take them outside with out using puppy pads as housetraining is already a confusing aspect for pups,take them out every hour or two and stand with them when they've been praise them wildly,if your consistent this way then housetraining only takes a few weeks.As for crate training,it's adviceable that you leave paper/puppy pads down overnight because obviously there not going to be able to hold themselves.Good luck.

• It is a good idea to crate train them,my cocker spaniel wasn't when he was a puppy 2 yrs ago then we found out he needed an op on his legs and had to be kept still and he didn't like the crate cos e wasn't used to it. But,there is a better thing to use for the toilet training,i used it with mine,it's called a wee post,you put it in the ground where you want them to go and the smell attracts them to go there.Mine still goes there now and the post has been gone for ages.They will love the crates cos dogs like their own space when they're tired or poorly or scared etc. The wee post is quite cheap too,look at your petshop.good luck with the puppies!

• Why would you use puppy pads outside? The purpose of the puppy pads is to get them going on the pads inside the house then move the pads outside then do away with the pads when the puppy is used to going outside. It is really a waste of money to use puppy pads outside. Just take them outside to the spot where you want them to go and forget the pads.

• Yes, when they first come into your home, it's a good idea to use both. The crate becomes their "safe place" or their home: think of it like the indoor equivalent of a dog cage. You have to make sure not to yell at them before you put them in there or they'll think its a form of punishment and won't want to go in. As far as the puppy pads go, since the dogs are new and young, they will have accidents, so its a good idea to confine them to one small area (separate from the crate) when they need to go to the bathroom. You should start with the pads inside the house and gradually move them outside if the puppies are very young and have not been fully vaccinated yet. Taking a three or four month old puppy into a grassy area where there are pesticides, bugs, remnants of other dog's feces and urine is dangerous and can cause parasites and/or parvo because puppies put everything in their mouth and will nip at the grass and anything stray in the area.However if you're getting older, fully vaccinated dogs, the puppy pads on a spot of grass will teach them that is the only acceptable place to go to the bathroom. It's a great idea if you're letting them go in your yard, and you still want your yard to be kept clean so your family can sit in it, too.

• CRATE TRAINING IS A GREAT WAY TO STOP YOUR PUPPY GOING TO THE TOILET DURING THE NIGHT IT WORKED GREAT FOR OUR WESTIE PUP BUT WE FOUND THE PADS TO BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.IF YOU TAKE YOUR PUPPY OUTSIDE LAST THING AT NIGHT AND TELL THEM TO WEE THEN GET THEM INTO THE CAGE STRAIGHT AFTER YOU SHOULD FIND THEY WILL LAST THROUGH THE NIGHT...OUR PUP NOW WEES ON COMMAND LAST THING AT NIGHT AND NO LONGER NEEDS THE USE OF THE CAGE