When should I take my puppy to the vets?

I'm getting a puppy in a few weeks its my first dog so I was unsure of when she needs to go to the vets for vaccinations. I'm getting her on a Friday night after work so I wasn't sure if Saturday was too early to take her to the vets as she won't have…

I'm getting a puppy in a few weeks its my first dog so I was unsure of when she needs to go to the vets for vaccinations. I'm getting her on a Friday night after work so I wasn't sure if Saturday was too early to take her to the vets as she won't have…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When should I take my puppy to the vets?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When should I take my puppy to the vets?

When should I take my puppy to the vets? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting a puppy in a few weeks its my first dog so I was unsure of when she needs to go to the vets for vaccinations. I'm getting her on a Friday night after work so I wasn't sure if Saturday was too early to take her to the vets as she won't have had much time to settle in. The other option is to wait until the Monday as the vets is closed on Sunday but I work with animals including dogs and I wasn't sure if it was a bit risky to keep her that long without vaccinations.I would pick her up Saturday but the breeder works till 12 so it's still not giving a full day for her to settle.

When should I take my puppy to the vets? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I prefer to leave a day, or two, between coming home, and seeing a vet. So provided you have no reason to think she's sick, and DON'T take her off your property, I'd say Monday would be fine. She can't pick anything up if she's safe on your property - and you don't allow any people with dogs to visit unless they come in without their dogs, remove their shoes and wash hands before handling her.I always prefer to have new owners pick up their puppy first thing, to give them time to settle the puppy in before the first night. To be honest, I'd wait until first thing Saturday to pick up your new puppy. 12 hours isn't going to make any difference, and you might get a good night's sleep on Friday if you leave it. And that way you'll only have the rest of the weekend before you can get her to the vet - which would be the usual 48 hours between coming home and seeing the vet in any case.