What is the best way to transport a puppy in the car?

I'm picking up my puppy next month to take her home (when she is 8weeks) I would like to know which is the best way to transport her in my car. Should I buy a crate for her to be in or should I put a collar and leash on her and my sister could hold her…

I'm picking up my puppy next month to take her home (when she is 8weeks) I would like to know which is the best way to transport her in my car. Should I buy a crate for her to be in or should I put a collar and leash on her and my sister could hold her…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best way to transport a puppy in the car?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best way to transport a puppy in the car?

What is the best way to transport a puppy in the car? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm picking up my puppy next month to take her home (when she is 8weeks) I would like to know which is the best way to transport her in my car. Should I buy a crate for her to be in or should I put a collar and leash on her and my sister could hold her on her lap?

What is the best way to transport a puppy in the car? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The only really safe way to take your new puppy home is in a crate. Having your sister hold her on her lap is just too dangerous for the puppy! Put a blanket in the crate and bring along a couple of the puppy's new toys and if it's a long trip, make a couple of stops, and she'll be just fine. My 9 week old puppy made a 9 hour trip home in his crate last summer with no problems.

• I would buy a crate just to be safe because you don't know how the new puppy will react to you or being in the car. Keep her in the crate until she seems relaxed and then your sister can try to hold her if she wanted although it's not the safest for the puppy.

• crate is safer.. do have a collar and leash, expecially if its a long trip to the breeder so you can do a potty stop.I did not think of a collar and leash when I picked up my Crested puppy.. it was a 3 hr drive to get him.. I ended up taking him inside a rest-area bathroom and laying toilet paper on the floor for him to pee on.

• I a crate. That way if she pees or gets car sick it isn't all over the car. Make sure you put an old towel in the bottom and to seat belt it in.add: I went and picked up a pup one time and didn't bring a crate to put him in. It started raining and I had to use the wipers. That dog went crazy trying to attack the wipers, lol. I had to stop and have someone physically hold him down in the back so I could make it home. I learned to bring a crate after that.

• Well when we brought our dog home (Jasper) we bouth this seatbelt that was from the kennels and it worked a treat, we but him in the back and put the seatbelt on and he was realy good!I love puppys, there the cutiest, your gonna love em to bits!!

• No crate we used a box because my siblings and I weren't expecting a puppy so no crate. It was a surprise. Since the puppy was TINY (lol) we were able to keep he in the box because she was a bit scared and or tired. But make sure if you HAVE to have her on a seat have it on a bench or the box or crate can fall. By the way, prepare for TERRIBLE biting. she have me a toothcut this morning.

• A crate is the absolute safest way to transport a puppy. However, many people reccommend holding the puppy (in the backseat, away from the airbags) on its first ride home. A crate, especially if they are not crate trained, can be terrifying to a puppy for the first time....not to mention it's possible the puppy has never been more than a few feet away from it's litter, let alone completely separated and in a car! When I got my puppy, I had my husband drive, and I sat in the backseat with the crate open. I held him for a little while and then put him in the crate and kept petting him until we got home. He fell asleep in the crate (he was already crate trained, though). Just remember to remain calm, speak softly, and don't panic. Dogs can sense your nervousness. You'll do fine!

• I would suggest getting a harness that clips on to the seat belt in the car. You can get good quality ones for less that £10 from either Wilkinsons or Poundland. My dog has one from each place and they are both very good. You can either get ones which loop around the seat belt strap, or ones which clip into the seat belt clip.

• Whatever way you are going to transport your dog in the car in the future - I'd recommend a crate, seatbelted in to the back seat. Make it comfortable, with a good layer of washable dog blanket. You could also get some spray-on pet pheromone from your vet, (spray the cage about 10 mins before the puppy goes in it) because this will make it smell more like the puppy's nest. As always when transporting a dog, have at least a collar on her, maybe a short soft lead as well, just in case you have to make an emergency stop and need to get out of the car quickly and hang on to her. Pups on their first outing in the car, with strange people, are very wriggly until they settle down and go to sleep, and you also need to be prepared for a lot of high-pitched crying, so if he's safe in the crate at least the driver will be able to concentrate and know the puppy can't come to any harm.

• i think this really depends on the breed, some puppys are really small at 8 weeks and others are big. I have chihuahuas and poms and i always collected my new ones with my sister i drove there and she drove back so i could hold pup, because most of the time its there first car ride and some are sick. Not all leads, harness fit young pups. But, after this day ialwaysy use a crate in my car, i have a big car and my children sit next to them. It is much safer for them in a crate, because when you are driving they will try to sit on your lap, you spend more time watching to see if pup is ok, in a crate you no where they are 100% and they are safe. You have noworriess opening the door to get petrol etc because you no they cant jump out. Hope this helps, what pup are you getting. Good luck, enjoy your pup, Maria

• I think you should get a crate make sure she is safe in the car so Seat belt the crate. This a big day for her but she will also be separated from her mum for the first time and that will be hard here are some tips for her first few nights at your house. (they are not in order I just don't have any bullit points)1. You stay with your puppy a lot because they hate to be left alone. Stay with them until they are confident you will return home soon.2. A hot water bottle wil keep her warm and comfortable and feel like she is close to her mum.3. An alarm clock ticking next to her. It will be like her mums heartbeat but make sure it doesn't ring in the morning. (this and the hot water bottle is something to do if your dog is crying because it misses its littler and mum)4. Toys are important it will keep your puppy entertained.5. The dog must have a bed of its own a basket with a soft blanket os good.6. They should sleep in the kitchen or a warm utility room.I hope this helps